PDA

View Full Version : New chatbox

TheEcologist
11-22-2011, 05:49 AM
The new chatbox is no longer functioning on for me in Chromium browser in Linux.
Does anybody have any clue on what could cause this?

vinux
11-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Hi Ecologist,
What about the old chat box? What about Firefox?

add-ons or extension(adblock filtering) can sometime cause this. Try uninstall and reinstall adblocks extension if any.

TheEcologist
11-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Oh yeah works in Firefox, and also in my winXP virtual box.. but I like Chromium and thus don't like the workaround that is use "firefox".

No adblock stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dason
11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
No adblock stuff in firefox? You sure about that?

TheEcologist
11-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Well it works in firefox.. so it wouldn't matter would it?

Nothing in Chromium.

quark
11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
What's the error? Can you view the chatbox? If it doesn't refresh it's probably a javascript issue, and you can uninstall and reinstall Chrome. I think most issues will go away with the reinstallation. And you can reinstall java too.

TheEcologist
11-23-2011, 03:12 AM
What's the error? Can you view the chatbox? If it doesn't refresh it's probably a javascript issue, and you can uninstall and reinstall Chrome. I think most issues will go away with the reinstallation. And you can reinstall java too.

Thanks for the reply quark.

It sticks on "Loading", new install, removal + update to latest release has no effect.
I don't suspect its Java as the chatbox works in firefox.

vinux
11-23-2011, 03:20 AM
The chatbox is working in my mobile browser ( Dolphin). So I guess Java is not an issue

TheEcologist
11-23-2011, 03:24 AM
I checked their forums and they seem to be having issues with the non-firefox browsers. I also found this on the forum (http://www.forumcoding.com/project.php?s=&issueid=144&filter=all&langid=5) which seems to come close to my problem - although it appears to be an inherent problem to vb.

bryangoodrich
12-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Since this is a thread about the chatbox, I figured I'll just add a comment here: is there a way to change the display format? Unless everyone writes a one-line statement, it becomes difficult to see the separation. Spacing would work, but then it squeezes the limited viewing space. Best would probably be a switching background color pattern, so each statement stands out from its neighbor. Is that possible?

quark
12-01-2011, 10:59 PM
There is an option for alternating colors, but it does not work very well when chats are multi-line. I have increased the spaces between chats. Hopefully it makes them easier to read.

The quote tag disrupts display in IE, so it's disabled. Other tags should work fine.

BGM
12-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Nice green color in the name. It catches my eye :)

Now it seems that in the chat box when we have the multi-lined message the user name will be aligned to the middle of the message in the vertical direction, instead of aligned to the top line of the message. Increasing space definitely help :)

quark
12-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Thanks. I used to have the same html markup as the contributors - bold and black, but somehow lost it a while ago. I have a big ego so I have to make it different. :D

The alignment should help. I changed the avatar to top-align, and also turned on the alternating colors. If you guys like it we'll keep it. I still think the box looks better without it. And we can increase the space even more...

I am working on an experience points system, with awards and medals. It's fun, you'll see.

bryangoodrich
12-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I like the way it looks. Everything is quite distinct and easy to follow now. I also like the top-align.

trinker
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Quark I love the changes to the chat box. Thank you. :) Great suggestion bryangoodrich.