+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Converting eta squared to Cohen's d

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38

Thanks

Converting eta squared to Cohen's d

I need to convert eta squared effect sizes to Cohen's d. It's for a meta-analysis paper, so I don't have the original data set.

Is it possible to do this? How is the formula different if you're converting from partial eta squared? I'm a research assistant so I don't know much about stats to begin with. If anyone could explain what exactly the difference is between eta squared and cohen's d (specifically how is effect size different from cohen's d--I don't mean in terms of scale and what's a large effect size. I mean conceptually, why would one pick eta squared over cohen's d and vice versa) that would be very helpful too.

Thanks,

LK

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Thanks

Re: There are no short cuts for the monarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Filipenes View Post
    Congratulations are due to Colin Firth et al for the success at the Baftas of The King's Speech but we should consider that the real winner here is writer David Seidler who waited 25 years for the Queen Mother to die so he could use his material. There's no doubting it, he's the real star here!
    I suspect this is a bot account, has made three posts today completely irrelevant to the threads they're in. Maybe the idea is to get a high post count to get past spam filters or something before actually posting spam links? Filipenes - if you can't make a sensible reply to this, the banhammer may come down.

TS Contributor
    Thanks

Re: Converting eta squared to Cohen's d

Quote Originally Posted by lk145 View Post
    I need to convert eta squared effect sizes to Cohen's d. It's for a meta-analysis paper, so I don't have the original data set.

Is it possible to do this? How is the formula different if you're converting from partial eta squared? I'm a research assistant so I don't know much about stats to begin with. If anyone could explain what exactly the difference is between eta squared and cohen's d (specifically how is effect size different from cohen's d--I don't mean in terms of scale and what's a large effect size. I mean conceptually, why would one pick eta squared over cohen's d and vice versa) that would be very helpful too.

Thanks,

LK
    Googling the topic of your post brought this up:
    http://www.stat-help.com/spreadsheet...2009-06-25.xls

It uses a formula from Cohen J. (1988). Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (2nd ed.),Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. pp. 281, 284, 285

Caution: SPSS gives a partial-eta squared value labeled as eta-squared, causing a bit of confusion for some researchers - partial eta-squared is sometimes labeled as eta-squared in articles. I'm presuming the sheet above assumes a classical eta-squared is given.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38

Thanks

Thanks, but I also need to convert partial eta-squared to Cohen's d too, which is not on the spreadsheet and googling didn't bring up anything obvious.

Also, if anyone out there has an answer as to why one would choose Cohen's d over eta-squared or partial eta-squared and vice versa, that would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

LK

TS Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lk145 View Post
    Thanks, but I also need to convert partial eta-squared to Cohen's d too, which is not on the spreadsheet and googling didn't bring up anything obvious.
    I'm not sure if this conversion is possible (though I might be wrong). Partial eta squared represents "the proportion of total variation attributable to the factor, partialling out (excluding) other factors from the total nonerror variation" - whereas Cohen's d is a purely bivariate effect size measure (i.e. control factors are not considered; the two effect size measures are measuring different things).

Also, if anyone out there has an answer as to why one would choose Cohen's d over eta-squared or partial eta-squared and vice versa, that would also be very helpful.
    I don't know of any guideline articles offhand, but Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (Jacob Cohen) might well have some suggestions. To me, it'd make sense to use Cohen's d when you have just two IV groups, and classical eta-squared with multiple groups. The article linked to above might also be useful re distinction between usefulness of classical and partial eta-squared.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 98

Thanks

Which metric you use will be a matter of context and convenience rather than correctness. Cohen's d is best suited to group differences while eta squared deals with the % of variance in a Y that can be predicted by an X. One thing that may be helpful is that eta squared is conceptually akin to r squared, and there are easy formulas for converting r to d and vice versa, so you might substitute eta for r and do that conversion. Just google "effect size" conversion for the formula.

+ Reply to Thread