+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: StatisticsPedia

R purist
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

StatisticsPedia

I love the new 'yellow bar' message system quark, and StatisticsPedia seems like a very good idea!
    The true ideals of great philosophies always seem to get lost somewhere along the road..

Admin
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Thanks

Re: Forum upgrade issues

Thanks. I am glad you like the bar and the new site. The message can be targetd for each user group, so contributors, registered users and unregistered visitors can see different messages. You can turn them off by pressing the 'x' at the end.

I am very excited about statisticspedia. This is the wiki I was talking about last year. But I tested different software packages, and find the wordpress system to be the most friendly both for admin and users/authors. It is very similar to a wiki. Registered authors can post/edit/delete their own articles, and editors can p/e/d every article. So we can share knowledge without waiting for somebody to ask a question, and we can have a stats dictionary, FAQs for TS, there's a lot of potential. The beta phase is for contributors only, and we'll open it up next week.

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

I like the idea of statisticspedia. Do we need to register or were you planning on migrating the TS Contributor's info over so we could just log in right away?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I re-registered under a new name but kept my profile mostly the same so regular TS users would recognise me.
    The earth is round: P<0.05

R purist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bugman View Post
    I re-registered under a new name but kept my profile mostly the same so regular TS users would recognise me.
    Same here!
    The true ideals of great philosophies always seem to get lost somewhere along the road..

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

I added a post to Statisticspedia about calling C code from R. I don't actually call much C from R so if somebody wants to look it over and make sure I don't have any glaring mistakes or if there is anything I left out or should explain a little better let me know!

There's a lot of stuff I should add (I don't explain why you need to do certain things) which hopefully I'll get around to editing but I just wanted some sort of post with some meaningful content on the site.

Also: whoever moved all of these posts to a new thread was thinking smart.
    Last edited by Dason; 05-11-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Admin
    Thanks

Re: StatisticsPedia

Great article! I just added the link to statisticspedia on the main navigation bar, and separated ralated posts to form this new thread. I'll keep tweaking SP to fit our needs. Please post any comments and suggestions here.

Some recent changes include: show article excerps only on homepage, editors can change post order sitewide and within category, show author information on sidebar.
    Changes in progress: author information box at the bottom of article instead of on sidebar.

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

Is there a way to add an avatar/profile pic to the accounts at SP? I can't figure out how to do it and don't like looking at the default silhouette.

Admin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dason View Post
    Is there a way to add an avatar/profile pic to the accounts at SP? I can't figure out how to do it and don't like looking at the default silhouette.
    It's enabled now. Please go to dashboard, then Profile > Your Profile, the upload function is at the the bottom of the page.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Thanks

Hi everyone! I really loved StatisticsPedia!Can we upload some analysis or statistical applications as examples to show how to use certain techniques? Is there a way to add images or graphs in the articles? Can datasets or documents be attached ? Does an article need a review or it is possible to post right away? I know, I know, too many questions, but it is an exciting new feature
    Statisticians are engaged in an exhausting but exhilarating struggle with the biggest challenge that philosophy makes to science: how do we translate information into knowledge

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

It's relatively easy to add images/graphs. There is an option to add media to the post so I don't see why you couldn't add a dataset but I haven't actually tried it out so I could be wrong. I know my article was published right away but I don't know if everybody has the same permissions right away. That would be something for quark to say more about.

Go ahead and post some stuff if you want! We'd love to have it. Or if you have suggestions for some stuff you'd like to see posted I know I'm willing to take suggestions. It's easier for me to write an article if I know somebody might actually read it and get something out of it.

Admin
    Thanks

Yes please try it out! SP is running on the same platform as big websites like TechCrunch and AllThingsD. The functionality is unlimited.

I figured that early adopters of Sp will probably be TS locals, so I am leaving the registration wide open, all registered users of Sp can publish articles and comments right away (Just removed restriction on comments last night), and I'll keep it open until a spammer shows up.

We used to have to wait for people asking questions, and have to answer them in their context. Not anymore! We can share whatever we want whenever we want.

Articles from Sp will be featured at the bottom of every page on TalkStats. Google is bringing in thousands of visitors everyday, thousands of people eager to learn about statistics. Post away, the world is waiting.

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quark View Post
    Articles from Sp will be featured at the bottom of every page on TalkStats.
    Oh interesting. When will that start? Will it just be a summary or a link? I'm guessing a full article would probably be pretty long but oh well! What were you thinking?

Admin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dason View Post
    Oh interesting. When will that start? Will it just be a summary or a link? I'm guessing a full article would probably be pretty long but oh well! What were you thinking?
    There will be an "Articles from StatisticsPedia" box at the bottom, showing article titles linking to corresponding pages in Sp. A lot of people on TS are looking for p-value (for t-test) and ANOVA related information, those articles will always be linked, and other topics will rotate. It'll start when we have more articles.

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

Awesome. We could probably start writing some articles on some of the common questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast