+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Statistics with R - absolute beginner

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 159

Thanks

Statistics with R - absolute beginner

Could any recommend where to start with learning R. Which websites/books/videos explain R in the simplest possible manner?

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Statistics with R - absolute beginner

Certainly.

I would first recommend having a look at the home page an becoming familiar with it:

http://www.r-project.org/

You'll find links, pdfs on how to get started and links also to the R-Journal.

Also however is this thread on the TS forum. This is loaded with info for beginners and more advanced users:

http://www.talkstats.com/showthread....-Books-etc.%29
    The earth is round: P<0.05

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

Do you have previous programming experience? What other stats packages have you used before?

ggplot2orBust
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Thanks

I recommend you get a copy of The R Book and also Peter Daalagard's book of Introductory Stats with R as well as the R cookbook by Paul Teetor. In conjunction with the numerous manuals from Cran including Kickstarting R and an Introduction to R. Also the website Quick R was very helpful to me. Plus simple typing in help(object) and example(object) into the command line ie. example(hist) help(hist). Theres a ton to learn about this powerrful program. Just keep in mind the learning process is recursive. Read and reread until you understand. I've reread Daalgard and the R Book 2 and 3 times respectively and keep using them as a quick reference. Welcome to R.

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

I've never actually read a single book that was focused on learning R. I think I've turned out alright. But I did have programming knowledge coming into the experience and there are a lot of useful guides online. The best way to learn is to just jump into it. You might not be the most efficient R programmer but over time you'll learn how to do things better. Heck I'm still learning and a lot of times when Mike White makes a post in the R/Splus section I'm either reminded of something I had forgotten about or learn something new completely.

ggplot2orBust
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Thanks

Good Point Dason. It all depends on your programming back ground. Mine was nil so those things were very helpful.

Once you begin getting a hang of it you'll wonder what you did before you had R.

Thanks

Many thanks for replies. I've got as far as reading an Excel sheet into R.

I now need to perform a 2 way ANOVA (with replication) on the data in the attached screenshot. How do I do this?
    Attached Images  

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Thanks

Typically you would use the lm function. It looks like you'll need to transform your data into 'long' format though. Also would you mind explaining your dataset a little more? The way the spreadsheet is setup implies that there might be some correlation you're not telling us about.

Thanks

To read the data from the Excel sheet and into R, I followed the clear, step-by-step process as given in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0Jm...=FLGrc1Q2TKYkw

I now need an equivalent clear, step-by-step process for performing a two factor ANOVA with replication in R. Where can I find this?

R purist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Layo909 View Post
    To read the data from the Excel sheet and into R, I followed the clear, step-by-step process as given in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0Jm...=FLGrc1Q2TKYkw

I now need an equivalent clear, step-by-step process for performing a two factor ANOVA with replication in R. Where can I find this?
    clear, step-by-step process? The video show a pretty complicated way to that!

Open excel, copy the section you want to load into R, then type data=read.table('clipboard').. (you type the last part, yes, dont copy as the data should be in the clipboard and nothing else).

As for an anova, there are hundreds of wegpages showing how to do that. E.g. http://www.personality-project.org/r/r.anova.html
    The true ideals of great philosophies always seem to get lost somewhere along the road..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheEcologist View Post
    clear, step-by-step process? The video show a pretty complicated way to that!

Open excel, copy the section you want to load into R, then type data=read.table('clipboard').. (you type the last part, yes, dont copy as the data should be in the clipboard and nothing else).

As for an anova, there are hundreds of wegpages showing how to do that. E.g. http://www.personality-project.org/r/r.anova.html
    I get following message when trying to copy from Excel using your method:

Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings, line 2 did not have 6 elements

Any suggestions?

R purist
    Thanks

You need to format your data correctly, remove all spaces in variable names e.g. name 1 should be changed to name_1. If you have blank entries replace them with NA, this means 'not available' and is good practice to use instead of black spaces.

In excel 2007:
    1) On the home tab & select the “find and select” menu

2) Select “go to specials” and select “blanks”

3) Type NA or any other character that you want to replace the blanks with

9 out of 10 times this solves the problems for users who are used to the 'lazy data' entry formats of Excel and SPSS and want to read data into something like R.
    The true ideals of great philosophies always seem to get lost somewhere along the road..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheEcologist View Post
    You need to format your data correctly, remove all spaces in variable names e.g. name 1 should be changed to name_1. If you have blank entries replace them with NA, this means 'not available' and is good practice to use instead of black spaces.

In excel 2007:
    1) On the home tab & select the “find and select” menu

2) Select “go to specials” and select “blanks”

3) Type NA or any other character that you want to replace the blanks with

9 out of 10 times this solves the problems for users who are used to the 'lazy data' entry formats of Excel and SPSS and want to read data into something like R.
    Great, thank you.

Also, I'm still very unclear on how to perform an ANOVA on the data which has been read in from the Excel sheet. If I copy and paste the commands in the link you gave (http://www.personality-project.org/r/r.anova.html ), then I am able to achieve the same results as given on the webpage. However I'm still clueless as to what to do with my data once it has been read into R from Excel.

Are there any idiots/dummies/4 years old guides out there?
    Last edited by Layo909; 05-30-2011 at 04:20 AM.

R purist
    Thanks

for starters, give a screenshot of your data or post the first few lines with head(yourdata), this way we know how your data looks like - or if its the same as the above attachment, tell us what the columns mean and what you want to achieve (basically what Dason also suggested; also read this). Secondly, post the commands you were just using and errors you are getting so we can tell what went wrong.

Thanks

Attached is what R currently looks like on my screen. I need to perform a two factor ANOVA (with replication) on the data in the attached screenshot. How do I do this?

Basically, I need to know exactly what to type and which buttons to press in the R. Please explain like you're talking to a 4 year old.

Many thanks for your great help.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast