+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interpret Chi-Square Goodness-of-Fit Test?

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80

Thanks

Interpret Chi-Square Goodness-of-Fit Test?

Hi and thank you for reading this post,

I ran a factor analysis on a scale and its data, and it came with a "Chi-Square goodness-of-fit" output (on SPSS). It's right after the correlation and factor matrix and it goes as follows:

Chi-Square: 423.255
    df: 170
    Sig: .000

How could I interpret/report this? It's a bit random that it showed up right after the scale and I'm honestly clueless.

Thanks again,

Statn00b.

R must die
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

Re: Interpret Chi-Square Goodness-of-Fit Test?

On you running confirmatory or exploratory factor analysis. In the former case the chi square goodness of fit tells you if the model fits the data.

Beep
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Discussion EnderPosting AwardCommunity AwardMaster TaggerFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,813 Posts

Typically goodness-of-fit tests don't tell you if the model fits the data. They just tell you if there is evidence that the model and the data don't really agree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dason For This Useful Post:

statn00b (11-18-2011)

Thanks

But how would you report the p-value in this case? It's an exploratory factor analysis.

R must die
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

This might be one of those "actual usage versus theory" disagreements we get into Dason but the norm for discussing chi square in SEM is to talk about if the data fits the model. Specifically if the reproduced covariance matrix is close to the covariance matrix in the data (which means the residual covariance matrix will be small). That is the specific terminolgy used, does the model fit the data. I have never seen the term "agree" used

7. The Following User Says Thank You to noetsi For This Useful Post:

statn00b (11-18-2011)

R must die
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by statn00b View Post
    But how would you report the p-value in this case? It's an exploratory factor analysis.
    The question you should ask is if you should report it at all. There are endless statistics generated, only a small percent of which are reported. In the pertinant literature do they report this (I have never seen chi square brought up in EFA).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to noetsi For This Useful Post:

statn00b (11-18-2011)

Thanks

So, would you say it has no values in terms of interpreting the factor analysis?

R must die
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

I never say anything has "no value." I am not enough an expert in statistics to make that comment. What I meant was that there are many statistics generated in reports. Only a small portion of those are reported. This does not mean that the things not reported have no value (if they did they would not be generated). It is that the field is not primarily interested in this.
    My statements reflect my own experience/education/memory only and could well be wrong. Julia will still beat the crap out of R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to noetsi For This Useful Post:

statn00b (11-18-2011)

Thanks

I see, but if I were to interpret the results with that p-value, what would the interpretation be like? I just want to know for future reference.

R must die
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

I don't know what the chi square is testing. In order to interpret the significance test you have to know what this specific chi square is testing (and what rejecting the null means for it). For example in logistic regression rejecting the null (tested by a Wald test using the chi square distribution) means the variable tested matters. In SEM rejecting the null of the chi square goodness of fit test is what you are looking for, it means your model fits the data.

SPSS has documentation that tells you what a test is actually measuring. Without this you can not interpret it. Formally the p value tells you if you reject the null hypothesis or not at a given alpha level. If the p value is below your alpha level then you do reject the null.
    My statements reflect my own experience/education/memory only and could well be wrong. Julia will still beat the crap out of R

Beep
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Discussion EnderPosting AwardCommunity AwardMaster TaggerFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
    This might be one of those "actual usage versus theory" disagreements we get into Dason but the norm for discussing chi square in SEM is to talk about if the data fits the model. Specifically if the reproduced covariance matrix is close to the covariance matrix in the data (which means the residual covariance matrix will be small). That is the specific terminolgy used, does the model fit the data. I have never seen the term "agree" used
    I'm just make the point that in a goodness of fit test the null hypothesis is that the data came from the proposed model. So if you don't reject the null that doesn't mean you have evidence that the null is true - just that you lack evidence that it is false. It's the same situation you have with all null hypothesis testing situations.

R must die
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

Ok I misunderstood you. The null is never true or not true (or rather you can never know it is based on a statistical test). I was talking about what rejecting the chi square test null meant substantively in SES.

Thanks

Well, see, I myself don't know what the null here would be. I did the factor analysis on a 20-item questionnaire doing the following
    UNIVARIATE - Set of tables.
    INITIAL - Communalities and eigenvalues.
    SIG - Significance.
    KMO - Kaiser-Meyer-Olkin measure of sampling adequacy and the Bartlett test of sphericity.
    EXTRACTION - Extracted communalities and eigenvalues.

I also did the eigen plot, with 1 factor and 25 iterations (by default on SPSS). Used an ML (maximum likelihood), and used no rotation.

So I knew what all of that meant... but to my surprise, I see a "Goodness-of-fit" test at the end of my output! And I have no idea how this relates to what I had anticipated I would see.

R must die
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Thanks

All I can say is that I have never seen this brought up in comments on EFA. If you KMO and Bartlett is ok then you focus on your factor loadings and how many factors are extracted normally. Generally you will use rotation (which you did not) because the factor structure is much easier to interpret if you do.

+ Reply to Thread