+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ....another beginner

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18

Thanks

....another beginner

Hello everyone,

I'm a beginner with stats but also a beginner with forums, so not even sure if I have posted this in the correct place - it took me 10 minutes to find out how to create a new thread.

Anyway, I'm doing some research at the moment that is looking at teachers' attitudes. I have administered attitudes scales to 25 teachers before they completed a training course and again after they completed the training course.

I also administered the same attitude scale to a comparison group (who were not involved in the training) at the same time as the test group completed the pre-training attitude scales. However, I did not administer the scales again to the comparitive group after the training. This comparison group was by no means meant to be a control group- it is just to look at baselines of the scales and make broad and general comparison.

I'm now looking to analyse the data now and I have been reading lots around spss and which stats to use.

I want to find out if there has been an overall significant increase in teachers' attitudes as a result of attending the training course.

I would very much appreciate some input from soemone who knows about these things, I find it very confusing. I have been trying to read about it but think I have just been getting myself more confused!

If anyone could help, that would be amazing!

Enid

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Thanks

Re: ....another beginner

Hi enid,
    Based on what you wrote I would suggest you seek to consult with a statistician directly. This is not to say that that the members of this board don't "knows about these things" or "which stats to use" but because there will be a lot of specific details involved in the course of the analysis and interpretation of your data. I believe the advice on which buttons/menue items you should use in SPSS will not be helphul in your case.

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

I agree with the above post but I would also point out that the comparison group won't be usable in all liklihood because you don't have a before and after score. In addition 25 cases won't be enough in most statistical methods.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18

Thanks

Thanks to both you comments,

Enid

+ Reply to Thread