Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: $60 - tutor wanted

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Thanks

Re: $60 - tutor wanted

Quote Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
    Yeah but all the profs like Mplus.....
    that is true indeed. the usual frontrunners when it comes to structural equation modeling software are LISREL (the prince among them all since it single-handedly saved structural equation modeling as a technique from dying at birth), AMOS for SPSS, EQS and Mplus now, with that said. the latest gossip:

AMOS: makes pretty drawings ready for publication but it's extremely cumbersome and very restrctive.... plus i cant find the link but i know a Belgian group developed a LaTeX thing to draw structural equation models (making AMOS mostly irrelevant now). if anyone out there can find where the page is please post the link because i lost it

EQS: peter bentler (main developer) is retiring so it'll go the way of the dinosaur...

LISREL/PRELIS: had its moment but no longer the dominating force

Mplus: the shining star... (for now)

problem with Mplus: great for data anlaysis, horrible for everything else. nevertheless, Muthen (the creator) who is a statistician himself knows the power of R all too well and it's very easy to interface Mplus through R. anyways, if you really wanna exploit the power of structural equation modeling in R you'd use OpenMX. MX used to be another commercial software for structural equation modeling but in what i think an act of great kindness, instead of closing shop and disappearing once they stopped being popular, the developers wrapped everything up in an R library and it is now the most powerful R library to run SEM models. pair that up with all the other extra packages for R and Mplus ends up being the useless pile of goo...

@ noetsi: a great book for logistic regression would be Applied Logistic Regression by Hosmer & Lemeshow. that's my default reference book for everything logistic and the emphasis is on applied
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

ggplot2orBust
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dason
    Yeah stupid R. It'll probably go away like that silly C fad too...
    Just saw an article about this on R bloggers:
    http://www.r-bloggers.com/c-is-dead-long-live-c/
    "If you torture the data long enough it will eventually confess."
    -Ronald Harry Coase -

Ninja say what!?!
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
    Of course once IBM gets rid of R it won't matter much anyhow. I need to learn it quick before the hammer comes down.

Like most math and stats types Dason you are an idealist. You fail to consider the vast power of greed and fear (aka market forces).
    Wow. Really??? So by the same argument, Linux will disappear too???

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried. noetsi likes to troll this idea on us every now and then.

I don't really think they see how incredibly impossible it would be for a company to buy out R and then drive it into the ground. As much as noetsi believes in the power of greed and fear - we will always have GNU fighting for free software. And since R is protected by a copy-left type license with the license holders being adamantly for open source software... I don't really see any company buying out R (IBM especially). But I've just come to ignore these kinds of comments for being absurd. noetsi can call me an idealist (and I'd like to think I am) but I also truly think that the only thing that could happen to R is that a newer open source statistical package could become popular and overtake R - essentially killing R in the process

ggplot2orBust
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Thanks

R and linux do play on greed: I want the best software and I don't want to pay for it(different kind of greed). Plus I think people do it just in opposition of corporations, "look we can do what you do better and it's free".

I just started using linux ubutnu. If mac users knew what this was and could do I bet they wouldn't drop the money they do on a new mac machine (unless they just buy it because it's trendy; which I suspect may often be the case).
    -Ronald Harry Coase -

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trinker View Post
    R and linux do play on greed: I want the best software and I don't want to pay for it(different kind of greed). Plus I think people do it just in opposition of corporations, "look we can do what you do better and it's free".
    Some of it is greed. Some of it is trying to create a better world. {Edit: I'll add that I don't mind paying for software - people put a lot of hard work into some products and giving them money seems perfectly reasonably to me. But I like having the freedom of changing the code if it doesn't do what I want it to do}

I just started using linux ubutnu. If mac users knew what this was and could do I bet they wouldn't drop the money they do on a new mac machine (unless they just buy it because it's trendy; which I suspect may often be the case).
    I bet a few mac users would switch but there are more reasons to use a mac other than that they're trendy. One reason is the software. There is quite a bit of mac only software that is great for certain things - mainly the artistic types of things; the system is highly integrated as well so you get a very cohesive experience from operating a Mac. And while there are Linux software 'equivalents' to the mac/windows only software a lot of times they don't do as good of a job. I'm a realist in this regard.

One other thing that is nice about macs is you actually get some support from a company. Go to an apple store and tell them your computer is not working - you'll probably have it fixed relatively soon and you didn't need to do any messing around with it yourself. If your computer with linux suddenly starts giving you a kernel panic every time you boot up ... who are you going to call or take it into to get help? Sometimes it's not too bad to work out yourself but if you're absolutely terrified of the command line then good luck getting anything done.

Linux is great but I don't see it overtaking the market in the next five years. Eventually? Maybe... but we would need a distro that is completely user friendly and does the tasks that most users want to do even better than what they're using right now (windows or OSX). Because if there isn't an incentive to switch (and being free isn't enough of an incentive to switch when you're essentially throwing out the OS that comes with the computer) then it's hard to get people to try something new.

ggplot2orBust
    Awards:
    User with most referrers
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dason
    There is quite a bit of mac only software that is great for certain things - mainly the artistic types of things;
    Valid points (my firend Joe using final cut and all sorts of mac programs for videos and music) but many(I'd venture to say most) of the people I see from the university carry them around and aren't artsy people. They then use macs for for microsoft purposes (ie office, endnote, and nvivo). Then these programs (particularly nvivo) don't run properly or at all on the mac and then they partition the hard drive and run windows anyway. They didn't buy em cause they're artsy and they didn't buy em for pragmatic reasons (hence the need to partition), why then did they buy em? Trend.

They then go on to blame mac or the program for not running appropriately when they should have been investigative in their purchase in the first place and bought based on intended purpose, then they'd wind up more satisfied with their product and probably 1500 bucks richer (aver $ of a pc laptop - aver $ of a macbook). Plus they can use the savings to upgrade every few years when the pc goes obsolete or the mother board is fried
    -Ronald Harry Coase -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3