Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi! im looking for which advance data analysis is actually helpful to real life.

Banned
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36

Thanks

Talking [FOUND & REVIEWING] Will Take Quite A While -- advance ana question

Hi! I really really need real life examples of how and which advance data analysis you personally can use to help in your life. so no basic stuff like median, or correlation. i don't need the math, or the math shown (i rather the math not be shown, since i wont understand any of it) -- i just want to know what it does and how exactly it can be helpful to real life.

im looking for which advance data analysis you personally can use to help in your life. please show good examples with the most advance analysis that you know of.

this should be obvious, but PLEASE ONLY POST HELPFUL COMMENTS & STOP MAKING PROBLEMS ON THIS THREAD. THANKS!
    Last edited by datana6521; 02-16-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Hi! im looking for which advance data analysis is actually helpful to real life.

Quote Originally Posted by datana6521 View Post
    Hi! I really really need real life examples of how and which advance data analysis can be helpful to real life. so no basic stuff like median, or correlation. i don't need the math, or the math shown (i rather the math not be shown) -- i just want to know what it does and how exactly it can be helpful to real life.

im looking for which advance data analysis is actually helpful to real life. please show good examples with the most advance analysis that you know of.

Hello datana6521,

I would like to help, but i am sorry, I have no idea what you are asking for.
    The earth is round: P<0.05

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69

Thanks

Re: Hi! im looking for which advance data analysis is actually helpful to real life.

Well Banks are supposed to calculate measures of risk to adjust their investmentlevel accordingly. If you belive in a bankingsystem where bank does not constantly go bankrupt loosing peoples pensionfunds this could be argued to be "helpful in real life". One popular measure of risk is Value at Risk. You can google it to get a description of "what it does"... or go to investopedia homepage and make a search on that site... happy readings

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JesperHP For This Useful Post:

datana6521 (02-16-2013)

Banned

Thanks

Talking Re: Hi! im looking for which advance data analysis is actually helpful to real life.

what http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_at_risk does is try to quantify risk (%chance of) of loss within a given time span http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/var.asp

and no, im looking for analysis where WE most ppl can use to help them in real life stuff (anything your genius can come up with)

this banking example is very indirect, you can just not have a portfolio. a better example is using VaR on a portfolio you manage, but that Also isn't a good example because it isn't 1) common enough 2) is the purpose of financial ppl 3) amd most ppl cannot use it to help them in real life stuff.

if you can use VaR (WHICH doesn't seem to be AN ADVANCE ANALYSIS) to find a good financial manager, then that would count, and that would be a good example, if the analysis itself was more towards being an advance ana

please, im really looking for real-life examples (and im SURE there is at least one example -- You can just MAKE UP an example if it is within practical reason), take all the time in the world

"but i am sorry, I have no idea what you are asking for." -- well the person with ~7% of your "I don't know" posts knew!! :P
    Last edited by datana6521; 02-16-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datana6521 View Post
    "but i am sorry, I have no idea what you are asking for." -- well the person with ~7% of your "I don't know" posts knew!! :P
    Seriously, is there a need for this smart a** comment? Don't do this again. This is not going to help you.
    The earth is round: P<0.05

Omega Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

I also have no idea what you are looking for. Statistics are constantly used in almost every facet of life, from Google searchs to weather forecasts. So you need to be more specific, your criterion seems to be subjective. If you want to see application of statistics just go to Google Scholar and type any word that comes to your mind. Most all peer-reviewed journal articles use analyses to confirm hypotheses. If you want to see "real" world applications, take a trip to your local hospital and checkout any of their technologies, which are tested in laboratories. And I bet about everything you can see along the way has been and can be analyzed (e.g., cars, traffic lights, curb heights, etc.).
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

datana6521 (02-16-2013)

Banned

Thanks

Talking Re: Hi! im looking for which advance data analysis is actually helpful to real life.

"Most all peer-reviewed journal articles use analyses to confirm hypotheses"

-- ok, what is an example of most people doing that helps make their life better???

"If you want to see "real" world applications, take a trip to your local hospital and checkout any of their technologies,"

-- it is specific, you aren't reading carefully -- we're talking about data/stat analysis, not technologies (unless you personally can use the helpful analysis with the helpful technology to help in real life

"And I [guess] about everything you can see along the way has been and can be analyzed (e.g., cars, traffic lights, curb heights"

-- ok, how?? the question is asking for the specific and advance analysis, not speculation. how can you use the analysis to help you in your life?? it's like you didn't even read anything..........

NOT HELPFUL
    "Seriously" -- wow, zero sense of humour, just WOW
    "This is not going to help you." -- and neither does your comment that clutters up the thread, why don't you stop? do you think cluttering up the thread is helpful??? then again, maybe you aren't here to help -- if you don't know, then at least stop cluttering up the thread. make me SAD.
    Last edited by datana6521; 02-16-2013 at 10:23 PM.

TS Contributor

Thanks

Oh I'm so sorry that having a credible banking system does not qualify as a "real life examples" of how statistics can "be helpful to real life".

Maybe this example is something that fits youre definition: My dad was hunter but he never learnt me the trade so I have to go to the supermarket. Everyday I ponder: "Should i go (to the supermarket that is) or should I stay" - by the way great song gotta love the 80's - but back to the point... I ponder: Will the supermarket be there? Then I remember that physical manifestation have a tendency to show space-time continuity - hence things being there yesterday will with probability 1 still be there tommorow - which by now is today. So without hesitation and with almost religous trust I go to the supermarket... I get food ,...... I survive.... Now hows that for "real life examples" of how statistics can "be helpful to real life". I mean I even do a Baysian update on my prior after being to the supermarket. Isn't life just great once you decide to grow a brain.

Why don't you just go somewhere on the internet where people dont care

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JesperHP For This Useful Post:

datana6521 (02-16-2013)

Banned

Thanks

Glad you grew a brain then. So that's a decent example, but you used only basic probability on something that is obvious (and of course it can't be obvious) and the question clearly asks for an advance analysis that is helpful (which implies that without the analysis, you couldn't have figured something out which in turn would've helped you in your life).

I don't know what is wrong with some of you people. If you aren't going to help, which was the goal, then at least, just don't give me so much trouble.
    Last edited by datana6521; 02-16-2013 at 10:45 PM.

TS Contributor

Thanks

I just assumed this would fit yore definition of "advanced" maybe you would care to explain the difference between "real life examples" of how statistics can "be helpful to real life" and "unreal life examples" of how statistics can "be helpful to unreal life".

Banned

Thanks

well, if in the question "basic stuff" were "median, or correlation", then i imagine it would be safe to assume that "probability" would be part of basic stuff. but that's a minor point -- any examples Helps.

and that's already explained, anything that INDIRECTLY helps that comes from a 3rd party most likely won't count. i'm looking specifically for any kind of high-level analysis that you, yourself, can use personally that would effectively help you in your life (and this could be anything within practical reason), which is what is meant by "real life examples"

and by being "helpful to real life," this automatically implies (one of the implications) that you can't used the analysis simply to confirm something that is obvious, or a very strong belief, like the existence of the store in your 2nd example
    Last edited by datana6521; 02-16-2013 at 10:58 PM.

TS Contributor

Thanks

Then make a Poisson based model of how to play backgammon or bet on football games. Lot's of people - I guess kind of real - play backgammon or bet on football. Anyway ruling out probabilty kind of rules out statistics illustrating the non-sense of youre question.

Omega Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

It is funny how in just a few sentences your overall demeanor is so blantantly apparent. If you could learn to write better and in a not so offensive voice you would probably receive more and better feedback. Your posts also give off the undertones of someone needing their homework done for them.

Example, stable matching - recent Nobel prize winning algorithm. Might not meet your vague advance statistic, helps - criteria, but I know countless people that are very thankful for it. And in less than a month thousands of people will have their lives directed by its use whenthey get matched to a residency program.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

datana6521 (02-16-2013)

Banned

Thanks

"ruling out probabilty" -- no, first of all, correlation doesn't use probablilty, and second, i never said probabily was "ruled out" -- you just reading carefully -- if probabilty is part of a larger analysis, then great!

TS Contributor

Thanks

in #1 you say "so no basic stuff like" and in #11 you say "well, if in the question "basic stuff" were "median, or correlation", then i imagine it would be safe to assume that "probability" would be part of basic stuff." ..................... Just go to You Tube watch a video on how to do some calculaion in Excel ... who care I'm going to sleep. Night Night.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast