+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [HELP REQUESTED] Calculating Sample Size Based on a Pilot Study [HELP REQUESTED]

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40

Thanks

Post [HELP REQUESTED] Calculating Sample Size Based on a Pilot Study [HELP REQUESTED]

Good morning Talk Stats,

I come to you after many hours spent on the web researching and working hard to find a solution. So far, I have been unsuccessful. Here is my situation:

I am trying to calculate sample size needed for a immunohistochemical study. I have done a Pilot Sample which shows promising staining but am not sure how to proceed. In my experiment, we are trying to prove that DLE slides are more stained than SCLE slides.

My PI has suggested I do an ANOVA of SEM's to find this. What would that be, is it the right way to go?

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Strategist

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: [HELP REQUESTED] Calculating Sample Size Based on a Pilot Study [HELP REQUESTED]

What type of data are you comparing? You just write, "DLE slides are more stained than SCLE slides" - are you looking at the proportion of the slide stained. So say 76/160 = 48%? Or more stained (yes/no) - defined in some way.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40

Thanks

Re: [HELP REQUESTED] Calculating Sample Size Based on a Pilot Study [HELP REQUESTED]

Hello,

I am comparing portion's of the area stained above a specific threshold. Basically "percent of the tissue stained," so my values are fractions. i.e. [0.0187]

Now, I want to prove that overall, the value of these fractions for DLE is higher than for SCLE...

+ Reply to Thread