+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transforming/Normalizing Data in SPSS 13

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 59

Thanks

Exclamation Transforming/Normalizing Data in SPSS 13

Iím new student of statistics, and find the discipline deeply fascinating. I'm hoping that the community here would be kind enough to point me in the right direction with an SPSS-related issue, as none of the considerable resources I have consulted so far have helped.

My questions deal with transforming/normalizing data. I am dealing with non-normal distributions, and I understand skewness and kurtosis, as well as the desirability to transform and ďnormalizeďthe dataset to approximate the normal curve. I am aware as well of the different types of transformations one can do on data of various directions and degrees of skewness in order to affect normalization (Square Root, Logarithm, Inversion, Reflection).

Here is my question:

-----------------------------------------------

Iím using SPSS 13. None of the guide books, the helps, the tutorials or the websites Iíve found provide decent instructions on transforming data to create normal distributions. I believe you perform the required transformations in the Transform--->Compute function, but after that, I simply donít understand how to proceed. Could someone tell me how to perform Square Root, Logarithmic, Inverse, and Reflection or other appropriate transformations on a variable?
    -----------------------------------------------

I understand in advance that many of the professionals on here might find my basic questions somewhat tedious to answer Ė In such a case, a reference to a book or website dealing with the issue in question would be just as helpful. In all cases, any advice, or insights are greatly and deeply appreciated.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149

Thanks

Hi $ it is a late answer but may be you are checking this site to control your question.

I am using SPSS 15 and i think that,SPSS 13 and SPSS 15 dont have many differences.

If i understand your question very well, directions must be like that =>

1. give a name to your variable. I described my variables like data, data1, data2 ...

2. [Transform=>Compute variable...]

3. Write your target data and write your calcutions. For example, if you want to calculate your data's ln, just write

ln(data) and click OK.

You'll get the results on Data Editor.

+ Reply to Thread