+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparing groups-carbohydrate microarray

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Comparing groups-carbohydrate microarray

I have a large dataset representing levels of binding of fluorescently-labelled bacteria to multiple carbohydrates on a microarray, comprised of 88 carbohydrates. There are two groups of bacteria (grouped based on clinical profile) that I wish to compare-Group A is comprised of two bacterial strains, Group B is comprised of 4 strains. I want to identify carbohydrates where there is a significant difference in binding observed in Group A versus Group B. Therefore, I wish to compare Group A [strains (i)+(ii)] to Group B [strains (i)+(ii)+(iii)+(iv)].
    There are 4 replicates of each individual carbohydrate on the array, and I have carried out two biological replicates, so for each bacterial strain there are 8 figures per carbohydrate. So for example concentrating on a single carbohydrate, is it right to take the 16 figures for Group A and compare to the 32 figures for Group B? I really have no idea what test I could use (ttest, ANOVA, etc) and what parameters would suit, or whether this is the right approach.
    I would be grateful for any assistance. I hope I was clear enough in the description, but I can clarify if needed.
    Thanks

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 48

Thanks

Re: Comparing groups-carbohydrate microarray

Dear Miromar. Unfortunately, I can't assist you with regards to your statistical challenges. I instead write to you because I have to fluorescently label different bacteria for microscopy, and I am interested to learn how you did the labelling. As you want to compare fluorescence levels from different bacteria I assume that you labelled the bacteria in the same way? BTW, are you sure that the different bacterias are equivally well stained, as this would affect the interpretation of binding levels? Thanks in advance. Regards, Rikki

+ Reply to Thread