+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Causal inference and survival analysis coursework

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29

Thanks

Causal inference and survival analysis coursework

Hey all, I'm an undergrad statistics student with an interest in causal inference topics such as propensity score analysis and instrument variable analysis as well as survival analysis. The stats department at my school is OK but I'm yet to meet someone who can help guide me towards these goals. Specifically, I need help figuring out what coursework I should be taking to best prepare me for research within these fields. I know logistic modeling is key for propensity score analysis but other than that I'm somewhat clueless. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me an idea of what kind of coursework I should be taking with both the math and statistics departments to help me focus in on these areas of statistics. I know no one can give specific recommendations without seeing the courses offered but I was just looking for general topics and then I could find those topics within my course descriptions. Thanks a bunch!

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 31

Thanks

Re: Causal inference and survival analysis coursework

I can't recommend coursework (not my field), but I can recommend becoming good at using at least 2 of the following programs: SAS, SPSS, STATA, R, and maybe matlab. I like SAS a lot because it does most of the hard work for me. I am going to have to learn R very soon though because it appears to have the broadest coverage of survival analysis tools out there. R is very flexible, so whenthere is a new statistical tool, it'll probably be available in R before it's available in any of the others. I don't use SPSS much, but it makes graphing much easier than R and SAS. Also, AMOS (which seems like the least painful way to do structural equation models and latent variable growth curve models) is part of SPSS, so this may be useful to learn too. Generally you'll find something is easier to do in one package than another, so if you know how to use 2-3 your life will be much easier. For example I'll learn enough R for survival analysis, but SAS seems much better suited for Logistic regression (BTW Allison wrote great books on both of these topics for SAS-worth reading whichever package you are using)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarek For This Useful Post:

Birdnals (05-09-2013)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29

Thanks

Re: Causal inference and survival analysis coursework

Thanks for the info. I'm taking a statistical computing class this fall that focuses primarily on these two. I've had limited exposure to R but haven't ever opened up SAS so I'm interested to find out more.

+ Reply to Thread