+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can courtship behavior explain mating succes (Generalized Linear Model?)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Can courtship behavior explain mating succes (Generalized Linear Model?)

Hi.

I'm trying to analyse some data about courtship behavior and mating succes in spiders.
    I have two groups of male spiders, well fed (NF) and low fed (LF). Each male has been used in an experimental trial with a female, where the duration of 3 courtship behaviors of the male has been quantified in seconds and mating succes has been scored as "yes" or "no".

So I want to answer the question: "Can courtship behavior (either one of them or more than one combined) explain mating succes?"

I have been advised to use generalized liniar model to analyse this question, which I have tried to do in R.

Is the analysis as simple as what I have done?
    I'm rusty at both statistics and R, so I'm afraid I'm missing something here. Don't i need to check for homogeneity of variance and normal distribution and "stuff like that" before I do the test?

Would you also use a GLM for this kind of analysis?

(I have attached a screenshot of my analysis, a plot of the behaviors in the 2 groups and a sample of the data).

Thank you very much for any advise.

Best regards
    H. Mann
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GLM.jpg‎
Views:	15
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	3448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Behaviours.jpg‎
Views:	13
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	3449  
    Attached Files

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 4

Thanks

Re: Can courtship behavior explain mating succes (Generalized Linear Model?)

Hey Mann.

Using a GLM is the right way to go if you are trying to estimate a probability (of Yes/No type).

What did you do for distribution assumptions with regards to the courtship behaviors? (It will not be normally distributed since you can't have negative time)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Re: Can courtship behavior explain mating succes (Generalized Linear Model?)

hi,
    this looks like a clear case of a binary logistic regression to me, with feed status as an indicator variable. The sample has a bit of a problem because the poor LF guys never once had a mating success - but if you have more samples that would be the way to go IMHO.

regards
    rogojel

+ Reply to Thread