+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Statistical test - for comparing values obtained from fit of a physical model

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Statistical test - for comparing values obtained from fit of a physical model

Hey guys,
    This is my problem.

I am analyzing fluid flow profiles in biological samples. I have two conditions: wild type and a gene knockdown. I have 10 wild type samples and 10 knockdown samples. I get flow profiles for each experiment. Since the flow profiles are noisy, I average the flow profiles for each condition. Therefore I am left with one average flow profile for wild type and one average flow profile for the knockdown. Now, I fit these average flow profiles with a hydrodynamic model and from the fit I obtain a fit parameter along with an error for this parameter obtained from the covariance matrix.

Now, I am left with one fit parameter and an error for wild type and one fit parameter and an error for the knockdown. How do I check whether the knockdown is significantly different from wild type?

I cannot use a t-test here because only a single fit was performed and therefore 'n' has to be considered as one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this post.

Thanks
    Sundar

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Re: Statistical test - for comparing values obtained from fit of a physical model

hi sundar,

a very simple way to analyse this would be to calculate the confidence intervals for both values - probably something like mean +\- error if the error is the standard deviation. if the two intervals overlap, you can not reject the hypothesis that the two values could in fact be the same, if they do not then you have proof that they must be different.

Does this make sense?

regards
    rogojel

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 2,245 Posts

Re: Statistical test - for comparing values obtained from fit of a physical model

I'm not sure I agree with rogojel's suggestion. But I want to hear more about the data before saying anything else. Is there a reason you are analyzing the averaged data instead of the raw data?
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

+ Reply to Thread