+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Comparing 2 groups with unequal number of samples + comparing multiple groups

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1

Thanks

Comparing 2 groups with unequal number of samples + comparing multiple groups

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been doing some surfing and reading on this forum and I must say, you guys are great.

I am going to take a statistical course in the next couple of months, but unfortunately my questions cannot wait till then as I am analyzing my data now.

Questions A:
    2 groups. Group 1: n = 180. Group 2: n= 25 (I think this can be classified as categorical, e.g. distribution of gender in each group).

For this analysis I have used Chi Square. Do you agree? Since it is a 2x2 categorical data)

Question B:
    5 groups.
    Group1: n = 178 (e.g. 170 +ve, 8 -ve)
    Group2: n= 15 (e.g 5 +ve, 10 -ve)
    Group3: n = 15
    Group4: n = 8
    Group5: n = 24

Each group represent a test result, and we are comparing the test results to see if it correlate with the diagnosis.
    e.g. 5 ways of measuring blood glucose levels, we want to see if there are any difference between these groups.
    Can I use One way ANOVA?

I very much appreciate the help.

Thanks

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Comparing 2 groups with unequal number of samples + comparing multiple groups

Question 1, yes this seems appropriate given your description. However you need to have at least 5 of each sex in both groups. Thus, if you put the data into a 2x2 table, gender by group, each cell needs at least 5 individuals.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

zaf (08-16-2013)

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Comparing 2 groups with unequal number of samples + comparing multiple groups

You need to provide more information about the second question, such as, are these the same patients, and what your abbreviations represent.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

For the second questions

Lets say you have a test called Beta to diagnose Disease called "Q". Beta has 5 result possibilities; A, B, C, D and E.

We have 230 patients tested using Beta. The following results were achieved.
    170 had a result of A, 25 had a result of B, 20 had a result of C, 8 had a result of D, and 7 had a result of E.

Out of the 230 patients 160 were known to have the disease Q.

Test result A: 155/160 have disease Q
    result B: 5/25
    result C: 2/20
    result D: 0/8
    result E: 1/7

Can I use one way anova to show statistical difference between the groups?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Question 1, yes this seems appropriate given your description. However you need to have at least 5 of each sex in both groups. Thus, if you put the data into a 2x2 table, gender by group, each cell needs at least 5 individuals.
    yes each cell in the 2x2 table has more than 5.

what about T-test for question 1 would it be better?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

hi,
    you have discrete data so neither Anova nor the t test is appropriate as they are for continuous data. Chi-squared could work but you do not have enough values in the last 3 cells. Grouping C D and E into one category might work, but you still only have 3 data points instead of 5 in the grouped cell.

I think Fishers exact test could work best for you
    http://udel.edu/~mcdonald/statfishers.html

regards
    rogojel

+ Reply to Thread