+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Area Probability comparison

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29

Thanks

Area Probability comparison

It's been a while since I have studied statistics, but it seems I need it for my work.

I have found and area of intersection between two others on the earth. Now I would like to know if I took one of the areas and replaced it with an area of the same size, but in a totally random position, what is the probability of the new intersection being bigger than my old one. Or by this I mean the method I would use to do it.

It may be have written this badly, if I have just let me know and I'll rephrase the question.

Thanks

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

Re: Area Probability comparison

Seemingly you want to have two set X_0, Y and know the size of the intersection |X_0 \cap Y|

Now you want to assume that there is a random set X which is a subset of a certain universe S and conditional on |X| = |X_0|

And now you want to find

\Pr\{|X \cap Y| > |X_0 \cap Y|\}

If the above formulation is what you want, I think the question is quite advanced. You will need quite a bit of random set theory; it is because you need to define what do you mean by allowing a set distributed, let say "uniformly" inside a superset. After defining such probability measure we will have some knowledge to calculate the required probability. I can find a document like

http://www.cemmap.ac.uk/resources/mo...tures_sets.pdf

and I must admitted that I not touching these topics before. Maybe I am over-complicating the issues here.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29

Thanks

Re: Area Probability comparison

I think what you're saying is right. I also know the size of |X| and |Y|. Also the set can be distributed uniformly. I have no experience of random set theory and assumed it maybe solvable using basic probability theory. But it appears that I am wrong. :/

+ Reply to Thread