+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Binomial Probability best fit curve?

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 31

Thanks

Binomial Probability best fit curve?

I have a probability question for some research I am doing. I think I am dealing with a binomial distribution and I was wondering if there was a way to make some sort of best fit curve for my data.

I basically have an extensive series of measurements that lead to a yes/no out come. For example, here is how the data looks: http://imgur.com/9V6Tv8e (but many more events). I know that my data trends significantly downward, but I want to know if there is some kind of model I can apply so I can say at this concentration this is your probability of cancer? Also Im not sure if it matters but I have many more no events than yes events.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44

Thanks

Re: Binomial Probability best fit curve?

It looks to me like you might have a basic 'dose-response curve' estimation problem; this would be true whether 'concentration' is for a dose of some medicine, or for some physiological parameter.

It's been a while since I've done this, but I believe dose-response curve estimation is fairly simple using SAS (e.g., proc logistic with link=probit on the model statement - this is technically called 'probit regression'; several other SAS procs can also be used).

Link: http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/da/ne...ap7/sect11.htm

But basically my suggestion is to investigate whether dose-response modeling is what you want.

Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnUebersax For This Useful Post:

MRIAV (09-09-2013)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

hi,
    by the look of it this could be a nice application of a logistic regression. It will give you a curve of the probability of a yes as a function of the dose,

regards
    rogojel

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rogojel For This Useful Post:

MRIAV (09-09-2013)

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 44

Thanks

> by the look of it this could be a nice application of a logistic regression. It will give you a curve of the probability of a yes as a function of the dose,

Yes, logistic regression or probit regression -- they will give similar results. Both fit an S-shaped curve to concentration (x-axis) vs. probability of positive response (y-axis). The probit model, based on the cumulative normal distribution, generally has more theoretical validity. Logistic regression, a less computation-intensive method, became more popular before computer technology took off. Now it's just as easy to perform probit regression.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnUebersax For This Useful Post:

MRIAV (09-09-2013)

+ Reply to Thread