+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do with my data when there is no response variable?

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 90

Thanks

What to do with my data when there is no response variable?

My research question: which habitat abiotic factors are most important in the distribution of species A.
    Species A seem to have disjunct distribution, so I visited 10 populations/sites of this species, and recorded the following abiotic variables: geology type, aspect, elevation, %rock cover, soil depth and soil texture.

I thought a classification like cluster analysis will help me out, but no success, I suppose due to some non numerical variable e.g aspect. I probably would like to give a measure of variability/variance for each variable across the 10 sites, and rank these measures from the least variable as the most important among them to the one with the most variability as the least important for the species.
    But is this right, and how do I go about it? Please help.

Ndafuda

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: What to do with my data when there is no response variable?

If you think habitat abiotic factors influence distribution, why don't you have a response variable (distribution seems to be that). For example if there are four distinction types of distribution you could run logistic regression, if the distribution is actually interval in nature you could run linear regression.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

+ Reply to Thread