+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transformations and Distribution Function

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60

Thanks

Transformations and Distribution Function

Hey guys,

Consider the following short example of transformations.

Let the joint density of x\ \text{and}\ y be given by the unit square, i.e.

\displaystyle f_{X,Y}\left( x,y \right)=\begin{cases} 1\ 0<x<1\ \text{and}\ 0<y<1 \\ 0\ \text{elsewhere}\end{cases}

Then the Cumulative Distribution Function of z=x+y is given by:

\displaystyle F_{Z}\left( z \right) = \begin{cases}0\ \text{for}\ z<0 \\ \int_0^z \int_0^{z-x} dydx\ \text{for}\ 0\leq z < 1 \\ 1-\int_{z-1}^1 \int_{z-x}^1 dydx\ \text{for}\ 1\leq z<2 \\ 1\ \text{for}\ 2\leq z \end{cases}\

I understand of course why the CDF is 0 and 1 but for the 2 cases in the middle I have been struggling to understand why we partition the CDF like that. In general what is the intuition behind the above result? I am very confused so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

Re: Transformations and Distribution Function

Note that the CDF is F_Z(z) = \Pr\{X + Y \leq z\}

As what you said, the support of (X, Y) is a unit square in the x-y plane.

And the region \{(x, y): x + y \leq z\} is the bottom-left region divided by the line L: x + y = z which has a slope of -1.

So you just need to know the position of L for different values of z. It will be easier if you can draw it out (at least in your mind)

E.g. when z < 0 or z > 2, L will not intersect with the unit square and thus you have the trivial solution.

And when z = 1, the line is just the diagonal line. Then you should understand why you need to split case at this value.

For the upper and lower limit it is just a result from "combining" the inequality, and you should be figure it out when you have the diagram.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BGM For This Useful Post:

JohnK (10-12-2013)

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60

Thanks

Re: Transformations and Distribution Function

Thanks but I have to say that the second case, that is 1-\int_{z-1}^1 \int_{z-x}^1 dydx, is still far from evident to me. Could you please be a little more specific on that one?

Also, isn't that partition arbitrary? The function is continuous so what if we chose z=0.5?
    Last edited by JohnK; 10-10-2013 at 06:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread