+ Reply to Thread

Thread: comparing means

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16

Thanks

comparing means

Hi All,

I need a bit of help. I have attached a spreadsheet containing data that I need to analyze. There are two groups - 1 and 2. Each group has a column that contains the data that I want to compare. I would like to know if the data for one group is significantly different than the data for the other group. I have tried using the t-test, which seemed to work well, but I was told that the t-test is not best for my data since it is not normalized. So, I'm wonder what test I can use or if there is a way to normalize my data. One of my main problems is all the zero results.

I have posted the data for your review. I would like to be able replicate what ever you suggest on different sets of data. Also, I have been using the free program Statplus, but if there is something better (even if it cost a little) I would be happy to try it. I have tried R, but haven't been able to get to far with it.

Finally, I have never taken any type of stats class and know very little. So please keep that in mind as you respond.

Thank you all very much for your time!

Jarod
    Attached Files

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: comparing means

Options:

You can try to normalize (e.g., log, square, etc.).

You can perform Wilcoxon rank sum on medians.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16

Thanks

Re: comparing means

Is the Wilcoxon rank sum test also known as the Mann–Whitney U? If not is it the same as either the Wilcoxon matched pairs test or the Wilcoxon sign test?

+ Reply to Thread