+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please explain logic behind a given solution

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23

Thanks

Please explain logic behind a given solution

The following example is from Ryser's book Combinatorial Mathematics:

"The number of 12-letter words that can be formed from 4 A's, 4 B's, 2 C's and 2 D's is 12!/(4!4!2!2!) = 207,900."

I assume the reasoning behind this is that the 12 letters available can be permuted in 12! ways, but the 4 A's are indistinguishable as are the 4 B's, 2 C's and 2 D's, and that's why we divide by the product of 4!, 4!, 2!, and 2!.

Right after that Ryser gives this example: "The number of 5-letter words that can be formed from the letters A, B, C in which A appears at most twice, B at most once, and C at most three times is

5!/(2!0!3!) + 5!/(2!1!2!) + 5!/(1!1!3!) = 60."

I don't understand Ryser's solution. I solve it following the logic of the first example given above. I reason:

1) Since A appears at most twice, B at most once, and C at most three times, we're really asking: how many 5-letter words can we form from two A's, one B, and three C's = six letters?

2) Thus we count the number of permutations of five letters taken from the six letters, which is 6!/( 65 )! = 6!

3) But since the two A's are indistinguishable as are the three C's, we have to divide this by 2!3! to get

6!/(2!3!) = 60.

Can someone explain the reasoning that leads to Ryser's answer, which is a sum of three addends?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

Re: Please explain logic behind a given solution

1) Since A appears at most twice, B at most once, and C at most three times, we're really asking: how many 5-letter words can we form from two A's, one B, and three C's = six letters?
    Not really; The question is still asking for a 5 letter permutation. But now the question gives 1 extra letter of "freedom" so you have 3 possible scenarios

\{(2,1,2), (2,0,3), (1,1,3)\}

under the constraint a \leq 2, b \leq 1, c \leq 3, a + b + c = 5, a, b, c \in \mathbb{Z}^+\cup\{0\}

Thanks

Hi, BGM,

The "not really" distinction you make is too subtle for my brain. Can you formulate a problem where Ryser's approach and mine would result in different answers?

But thanks for the reply. I'd thought Ryser might be using multinomial coefficients, but couldn't quite work that out.

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 2,246 Posts

Consider making a 2 letter word with at most 2 As, 1 B, and 1C.

Your method says that we look at the number of permutations of 2 letters out of the 4: 4!/2! = 12 then divide by 2! since there are 2 As. So we get an answer of 6.

But if you work through it the alternative way you get an answer of 7 and indeed these are the possibilities:
    "aa" "ac" "ca" "ab" "ba" "bc" "cb"
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dason For This Useful Post:

X-man (12-10-2013)

Thanks

EXCELLENT, DASON! Your post will give me something to think about and work on over the eggnog!

+ Reply to Thread