+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fantasy Football - Projecting Team Scores

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

Fantasy Football - Projecting Team Scores

I am frankly embarrassed to be asking this but my searches on the forum for “fantasy football” haven’t yielded many useful results. Or at least not what I am hunting for.

I am trying to understand (and/or calculate) is how the projected team scores for a given team are calculated by sites like Yahoo sports. My crude assumption is basically that the player per game averages of the team are simply summed up. What I am looking for (I think) is something like a probability distribution of the score of a team. Here’s a basic example:

Position Ave. Std. Dev
    QB 18 3
    RB1 12 4
    WR1 10 5
    TE 8 3

So with this basic example, my assumption has been that the team total projection would be 48. But what then is the team’s standard deviation assuming the players are all independent? Or what would the chance be that this team’s total score would be greater than 60.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is actually a pretty easy question that I have long since forgotten the appropriate term of that would help me find the solution. If anyone has any site they can point me to that shows examples of this sort of thing or can shed some light on it directly, I would appreciate it. (My stats background is fairly basic, confined to chi-square tests and the like that you might see in undergraduate science. And I haven’t taken an undergrad science class in quite some time!)

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 164

Thanks

Re: Fantasy Football - Projecting Team Scores

Can you describe fantasy football for those of us who aren't familiar with it? Is it soccer or american football?

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

Yes, sorry! Fantasy football is basically a weekly game in the US in which people select players from different American football teams and then their actual game performances are counted towards each person's fantasy team. So in my example above, one team is made of a QB (quarterback), RB (running back), WR (wide receiver) and TE (tight end).

It's pretty juvenile, honestly but it's tons of fun while the season is going on. And you can see how it would feed into the probability question.

Hope that explanation helps.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 918
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LH13 View Post
    Fantasy football is basically a weekly game in the US in which people select players from different American football teams and then their actual game performances are counted towards each person's fantasy team. So in my example above, one team is made of a QB (quarterback), RB (running back), WR (wide receiver) and TE (tight end).
    thank you! every time the term "fantasy football" came up in the forum i had always been left wondering what it was... in my mind i thought it was like quidditch or something (because of the 'fantasy' part...)
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

+ Reply to Thread