+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Alternate' proof that the expected value of the sample mean is the population mean

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 21

Thanks

'Alternate' proof that the expected value of the sample mean is the population mean

It would be appreciated if someone could verify that this makes sense.
    By definition

\bar{x} = \frac{\sum x_i}{n}

So taking its expectation we get

\bar{x} = \frac{1}{n} E[\sum x_i]

Now, as we have a population of size N and a sample size of size n, we have {N\choose n} different samples and of those, {N-1\choose n-1} contain each of the values X_1, X_2,...,X_N.

Then clearly,

\sum{x_i}={N-1\choose n-1}\sum{X_j}

So, the expectation of \sum{x_i} will be given by,

E[\sum{x_i}]=\frac{{N-1\choose n-1}\sum{X_j}}{{N\choose n}}

\hspace{17mm}=\frac{n}{N} \sum{X_j}

Therefore

E[\bar{x}]=\frac{1}{n}(\frac{n}{N} \sum{X_j})

\hspace{10mm}=\bar{X}
    Last edited by sid9221; 04-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 2,246 Posts

Re: 'Alternate' proof that the expected value of the sample mean is the population me

You aren't being very clear about what the summations are over and what terms are involved. I also don't understand what you're trying to say when you claim that
    Quote Originally Posted by sid9221 View Post
    {N-1\choose k-1} contain each of the values X_1, X_2,...,X_N.
    What? You have from X1 up to Xn but the count implies you're looking at the number of combinations of size k-1 from a set of size N-1.

Overall I think you need to be more explicit in what you're referring to which might clear up some of the ambiguity that I see in the proof.
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 21

Thanks

Re: 'Alternate' proof that the expected value of the sample mean is the population me

Quote Originally Posted by Dason View Post
    You aren't being very clear about what the summations are over and what terms are involved. I also don't understand what you're trying to say when you claim that

What? You have from X1 up to Xn but the count implies you're looking at the number of combinations of size k-1 from a set of size N-1.

Overall I think you need to be more explicit in what you're referring to which might clear up some of the ambiguity that I see in the proof.
    Apologies, the k's were all typos, then were meant to be n's. Does it make sense now.

I'm working on the 'Latex' error bit. Its meant to be [[N-1 Choose n-1 ]*sum X_j]/[N Choose n]

The summations for x_i go from 1..n and for X_j go from 1..N. Trying to update the latex versions, doesn't seem to be working..

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

I guess I understand your question a little bit more now.

In your question, you have a population with N distinct elements:

\{x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_N\}

Now sampling n \in \{1, 2, \ldots, N\} elements out of N without replacement, forming a set of random sample

\{X_1, X_2, \ldots, X_n\}

with the assumption that each element is equally likely to be sampled.

Now, the population mean is defined by

\mu = \frac {1} {N} \sum_{i=1}^N x_i

and the sample mean is defined by

\bar{X} = \frac {1} {n} \sum_{i=1}^n X_i

OP may want to calculate the expected value of the sample mean without invoking the linearity of expectation, but just rely on the first principle with combinatorics argument.

As mentioned by OP, the number of ways to form such a random sample is M = \binom {N} {n} and by the equally likely assumption, each way has a equal probability of \frac {1} {M}

So the expected value may be expressed like this:

E[\bar{X}] = \frac {1} {M} \sum_{j=1}^M \frac {1} {n} \sum_{i=1}^n x_i^{(j)} = \frac {1} {Mn} \sum_{i=1}^N a_ix_i

where a_i are the number of times that the elements x_i appear in the above summation.

The number of ways of forming a random set of n elements, with the condition that a particular elements x_i must be included in the set, is

\binom {N - 1} {n - 1}

and thus we have

a_i = \binom {N - 1} {n - 1}, i = 1, 2, \ldots, N

Finally, putting these things together,

E[\bar{X}] 
= \frac {\displaystyle \binom {N - 1} {n - 1}} {\displaystyle  \binom {N} {n} \times n}\sum_{i=1}^N x_i = \frac {1} {N} \sum_{i=1}^N x_i = \mu

and this should be what OP trying to argue for.

+ Reply to Thread