+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meta Analysis Question: Is this even possible?

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Thanks

Meta Analysis Question: Is this even possible?

Here's the situation: a colleague has a stats consultant who is saying the following type of meta-analysis is possible.

He has replicated a study and wants to compare it to the original study conducted by other researchers. He does not have access to the original study's data and only has the following knowledge about the variables: mean, median, and standard deviation.

Is it possible to take a set of participant measures and make any sort of meaningful comparison with another data set for which you only know the mean, median, and SD?

-- kate

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Thanks

Re: Meta Analysis Question: Is this even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by metageek View Post
    Is it possible to take a set of participant measures and make any sort of meaningful comparison with another data set for which you only know the mean, median, and SD?
    depends on what question they're asking and what a "meaningful comparison" means in this context. so maybe yes, maybe no.
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

Thanks

Well, from what I can tell, they want to basically say how well their participants perform (based on time measures) than the previous study. Basically, the variables are time measures (participant spent X minutes on task).

I'm just trying to figure out how such a comparison could be done (and I'm hesitant to ask the person as I will be dragged into helping).

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Thanks

well... again, i think a lot more detail would be needed. but, for example, if to they also had the number of participants per group, for instance, they could do a two-sample t-test.

there is also a post somewhere in this forum on how to do a 2-way ANOVA from summary statistics only so there's probably quite a bit of (simple) stuff they could do if they have the right info.

so yeah.. maybe the can get some useful info from it. then again, we'd need more detail...
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spunky View Post
    well... again, i think a lot more detail would be needed. but, for example, if to they also had the number of participants per group, for instance, they could do a two-sample t-test.
    Yes, they should have the n values for each group.

-- kate

+ Reply to Thread