+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Percentage with multiple tries problem

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34

Thanks

Percentage with multiple tries problem

So I'm trying to figure out what the percentage of having a successful roll on any of three tries would be when the success rate for any single roll would be 5%. The only thing I can think of is adding the percentages together but that seems clearly wrong as it would eventually reach 100% with enough tries, but that's impossible. Any advice on how to go about solving this?

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Thanks

Re: Percentage with multiple tries problem

This is a homework problem....

So the advice is pick any undergraduate textbook on probability and read / learn the rules highlighted in boxes in the first 2-3 chapters... You will have to do it anyway, sooner or later, to survive in the course you are taking.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Do you mean the approach would reach 100% with greater than 3 rolls? If you think about it with a form of multiplication you would not have to worry about that.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staassis View Post
    This is a homework problem....

So the advice is pick any undergraduate textbook on probability and read / learn the rules highlighted in boxes in the first 2-3 chapters... You will have to do it anyway, sooner or later, to survive in the course you are taking.
    No, this isn't a homework problem. I'm not in a stats course and likely never will be, and thus don't have a stats book to refer to. This is for a game i play. I guess I can attempt googling for an answer but I figured someone here might know a formula or something I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Do you mean the approach would reach 100% with greater than 3 rolls? If you think about it with a form of multiplication you would not have to worry about that.
    I mean the only thing I can think to do is simply add the 5%s, so 20 rolls would reach 100%. But this is clearly false. I figured there would have to be some kind of multiplication going on but I don't understand what I'd have to do to get the answer

+ Reply to Thread