+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob Question - Offensive/Defensive rating

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

Noob Question - Offensive/Defensive rating

The basic questions is how to calculate a defensive and offensive rating for a team in sport, when both ratings take into account the other rating for the opposition?

Basically I wanted to create an offensive and defensive rating for each football team in the world cup using results from qualification and recent friendlies. My problem is, to create the offensive rating it should require the defensive rating of the opposition. Then obviously the defensive rating would require the offensive rating of the opposition.

I have no idea how to get around this problem... If I look at the basketball version of offensive rating, they simply ignore opposition - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_rating. With there being a smaller sample size it makes a big difference in what I want to do though. Would it just be a simple case of creating a basic offensive/defensive rating and then use this to make an adjusted rating?

Any help/tips appreciated.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 349

Thanks

Re: Noob Question - Offensive/Defensive rating

All things are known because we want to believe in them.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

Re: Noob Question - Offensive/Defensive rating

Thanks that looks useful. Although I was wanting to focus defensive + offensive ratings in order to predict chance of a clean sheet. I'll do some reading.

+ Reply to Thread