+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Multilevel Structure & Random Effects

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 344

Thanks

Multilevel Structure & Random Effects

Hi!

We have the following data structure and I'm wanting to get some feedback on how to correctly specify a multilevel model for research.

Patients (i), Care-Givers (j), Hospital (k)

Our structure is such that:
    Patients (i) are nested within Hospitals (k). Care-Givers (j) can also work at several different Hospitals (k).

Our outcome is a single binary (yes/no) variable and we're interested in including patient level covariates, as well as some hospital level (size, # of beds) and care-giver characteristics (sex, specialty).

Our ultimate goal is to tease apart the variation in the outcome and attribute it to Care-Givers and Hospital.

I believe I am using a cross-over structure. Does anyone have any pointers to get started in SAS?

Cheers,

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Multilevel Structure & Random Effects

I think you may go the route of Proc glimmix. Seems like you may have 3 levels, not sure how you get that third one into SAS, two variables listed in strata?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

jamesmartinn (08-07-2014)

Cookie Scientist
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Thanks

You only have 1 observation per patient, right? So really we can only estimate 2 random effects (hospitals and caregivers), not 3.

The GLIMMIX syntax might look something like this:
    Code: 
    proc glimmix;
    model y = patientCov1 patientCov2 size beds sex specialty / dist = binary solution;
    random intercept patientCov1 patientCov2 sex specialty / sub=k type=un;
    random intercept patientCov1 patientCov2 size beds / sub=j type=un;
    run;
    “In God we trust. All others must bring data.”
    ~W. Edwards Deming

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jake For This Useful Post:

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Thanks Jake, that is what I meant.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hlsmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for the quick responses! <3

Can you kindly explain the logic behind having the patient level characteristics on the random intercept lines? Also, some of the physician factors (sex) are fixed, so this part is throwing me off too.

Cookie Scientist
    Thanks

That syntax specifies random slopes. The caregiver covariates are fixed for a caregiver, so those can't be random across caregivers, but they can be random across hospitals, because a hospital is observed with multiple caregivers and thus multiple values of the caregiver covariates. Likewise for the hospital covariates, if caregivers are observed with multiple hospitals then we can estimate random slopes across caregivers for the hospital covariates. And the patient-level covariates vary at the observation level so random slopes for those can be estimated across both grouping factors.

Edit: I see that I accidentally switched around the "j" and "k" grouping factors in my syntax. Will fix now.
    ~W. Edwards Deming

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jake For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    That syntax specifies random slopes. The caregiver covariates are fixed for a caregiver, so those can't be random across caregivers, but they can be random across hospitals, because a hospital is observed with multiple caregivers and thus multiple values of the caregiver covariates. Likewise for the hospital covariates, if caregivers are observed with multiple hospitals then we can estimate random slopes across caregivers for the hospital covariates. And the patient-level covariates vary at the observation level so random slopes for those can be estimated across both grouping factors.

Edit: I see that I accidentally switched around the "j" and "k" grouping factors in my syntax. Will fix now.
    Thanks for the clarification Jake - makes sense! And thanks to everyone else too for such quick responses <3, appreciate it

Thanks

If I'm interested in calculating the ICC from this model, my guess is it would be something like this:

ICC for Care-giver = variance of care-giver random effect / variance of care-giver random effect + variance of hospital random effect + level 1 variance in responses (persons).

Likewise, I can switch around if I wanted the ICC for hospital. My question comes from specificying the level 1 variance in responses. Can I take it to just be Pi^2/3? This is what I've seen done, however after reading some more if seems that this is only appropriate if you consider the latent variable approach to logistic regression. Is it much different than what we've done in GLIMMIX? Can I use the output from GLIMMIX and just substitute in Pi^/3 or do I have a bit of work cut out for me using NLMIXED and/or possibly other tools? Any advice would be helpful!

Cheers,

Cookie Scientist
    Thanks

I would not encourage you to calculate ICC for a model that includes random slopes. The well-known ICC formulas only apply to models that have random intercepts only. There are lesser-known formulas that can be used to calculate ICCs for models with random slopes, but they are not very useful, because with random slopes the ICC is a function of the predictors--that is, there is not one ICC, but many ICCs, one for each unique value of the predictors. These issues are discussed in further detail by Goldstein et al. here:
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/cmm/research/pvmm.pdf
    See also slides 28-32 here:
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/softwar...dom-slopes.pdf
    Of course these resources are talking about normal models, not logistic models, but the same issues should apply I would think. Just say no to ICC in random slopes models.
    ~W. Edwards Deming

+ Reply to Thread