+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conditional distribution for covariance matrix with constraint

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97

Thanks

Conditional distribution for covariance matrix with constraint

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how to draw from the conditional distribution for a covariance matrix given some correlated multivariate Gaussian data.

I know the univariate distributions are all standard normal (i.e. zero mean, unit variance), so the only unknowns are the off-diagonal elements of the covariance matrix.

If it wasn't for this constraint, I could just draw from the Wishart distribution, but I'm not sure what to do with this constraint in place.

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

Re: Conditional distribution for covariance matrix with constraint

Do you mean you already know that the data are from a multivariate normal, with the mean vector being a zero vector and the covariance matrix has a diagonal of one?

And is it your only constraint? Or you mean other constraint? And you want to ask the distribution of the scatter matrix under this constraint, compare to the usual setting where you got the wishart distribution?

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97

Thanks

Re: Conditional distribution for covariance matrix with constraint

Quote Originally Posted by BGM View Post
    Do you mean you already know that the data are from a multivariate normal, with the mean vector being a zero vector and the covariance matrix has a diagonal of one?
    Yes that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by BGM View Post
    And is it your only constraint? Or you mean other constraint? And you want to ask the distribution of the scatter matrix under this constraint, compare to the usual setting where you got the wishart distribution?
    Yes, when I say constraint I mean the fact that the covariance matrix has ones on the diagonal. Sorry it wasn't clear.

+ Reply to Thread