+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Correlation between non-independent variables

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 21

Thanks

Correlation between non-independent variables

Hi,

I want to conduct correlation between two variables, that have common term (difference scores).

Originally there are three variables X, Y, Z. I want to conduct correlation between two variables that are computed as:

First variable: X - Y
    Second variable: Y - Z

I know, that the correlation will be spurious and I wonder whether it is possible to correct it in some way. From theoretical reasons, I need correlation (or some other measure of relation) between variables that have this common term.

I will add also, that what I am interested is not the value of correlation coefficient, but I want to compare relative strength of correlation between these variables in different conditions. That is why I thought that maybe I can transform r values to Z values using Fisher's transformation, because I assumed that even if values of correlation coefficents will be inflated, it still would be possible to compare they relative strength.

I will be greatefull for help.

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Correlation between non-independent variables

What about covariance measures?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

hlsmith, can you be more specific? What measures and how using these measures will solve the problem?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by random_guest View Post
    From theoretical reasons, I need correlation (or some other measure of relation) between variables that have this common term.
    would you mind expanding on these "theoretical reasons"? at first i thought something like partial correlations could be useful, but we'd really need to know what X, Y and Z are and what you're trying to do.

as it stands, my hunch would be there isn't much you can do about it. your X-Y and Y-Z variables are linear combinations of their respective components and, as such, they will be highly correlated with the variables that make them up.
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

Thanks

It is a research in psychology.

X is an index (averaged from few items) of how participants evaluate themselves, Y - how they evaluate their ingroup (e.g. other people from their country), Z - is the evaluation of outgroup (e.g. people from other country).

I am interested in relation between so called self-enhancement and ingroup bias. Self-enhancement is defined as the extent to which someone evaluate her/himself as superior to other members of the ingroup, and is calculated as difference between X and Y. Ingroup bias is defined as the extent to which someone evaluate the ingroup as superior to outgroup, and is calculated as difference between Y and Z.

In one paper in exact same scenario as mine, there was used a correction described in this paper (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...900.x/abstract), but in my opinion it does not solve the problem.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by random_guest View Post
    but in my opinion it does not solve the problem.
    why would you say it doesn't solve it? i haven't had a look a the paper (i'm on my cellphone) but it just by skimming through it, it seems like its some variant of residualized difference scores which are a common (and statistically correct) approach to modeling change-scores.

now that you've clarified that these are difference/change scores (which is how these models are usually known in psychometrics) perhaps you could use a much more appropriate technique like latent change scores, instead of using a composite score for X? difference scores tend to have issues with their reliability (i.e. it tends to be lower) unless certain conditions are met.
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

Thanks

Thank you for your response. I am not sure, if formulas described in this paper solve the problem, because as far as I understand them, they purpose is to compute true difference score between administration of one test in two time points. And I think the source of my problem is that two variables have common term. I did not find in this and any other paper aby formula, that refers to such problem.

+ Reply to Thread