+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baccalaureate Preferences by Gender Question

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 7

Thanks

Baccalaureate Preferences by Gender Question

I am doing a study on baccalaureate preferences by gender and I have questions about estimating a particular institution's expected male/female graduation rate.

Overall, 57% of baccalaureate degrees are awarded to women. If gender has no influence on major preference than we would expect every gender to have a 57%f/43%m split in every major. However, this is not the case. For instance, in statistics, the average split is 41/59, this means there is a 16% discrepancy between expected vs actual due to gender.

What I now want to do is, given the national data, estimate how much a particular institution variate from the national average. The problem is that each institution has differing gender ratios. Thus, to estimate the expected value, given the national average, you need to adjust the numbers in light of the differing gender demographics.

According to the data, in a school that has 43% males, 59% of their Statistics degrees are awarded to men. So, what percent of male statistics graduates would we expect in a school with with 55% males rather than 43%?

I don't know how to do this, and I have not had much luck in finding it online. I feel like it should be easy but I have not figured it out. I have attached a spreadsheet with the data laid out in a nice table, which is probably less confusing than my ramblings here.

Thank you so much in advance!
    Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread