+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where can I access the actual DATA used from medical studies?

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 51

Thanks

Where can I access the actual DATA used from medical studies?

Hello,

I have a project in my regression class where I need to find 2 studies that used regression analysis, and I need to reproduce their analysis. I'm having a really hard time finding studies that freely offer the actual data they used in the study.

Are there any good websites for finding studies that freely offer their data for other statisticians to look at?

Thanks

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35

Thanks

Red face Re: Where can I access the actual DATA used from medical studies?

Obtaining actual dataset from researchers is not the easiest thing in biomedical research :-)
    I would try to identify 2 studies focused on Framingham Heart Database...I am positive the database itself (at least the classic data from several years ago) are freely available to everyone (if not, you can just submit formal request through your institution's library). Once you have the studies and the dataset, then reproducing the analysis should be quite straightforward !
    Good luck

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Where can I access the actual DATA used from medical studies?

I requested a copy of the Framingham dataset a couple of months ago for teaching purposes and got in within a day. There have been over 2,000 papers based on some form of the dataset. Also, the SAS help.heart dataset within the program is a version of the Framingham dataset.

Studies sponsored by US governmental funds (NIH), are asked to be made public. This is so the medical community and government can get the most for its research dollars. I am unsure where those dataset may be accessible at, but you should update us all with what you end up doing, so that others can also benefit.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Where can I access the actual DATA used from medical studies?

Virtually all government sponsored studies are in the public domain. Academic articles on health related subjects usually have a contact person. Commonly professors have websites and you probably could go there to request data, or find out where to request it.

Downloading large data bases, or accessing them like the NELS education study, can be difficult simply because it is so complex.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

+ Reply to Thread