+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does R, R square , Adjusted R square, STD error of estimates helps for ?

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Thanks

Post What does R, R square , Adjusted R square, STD error of estimates helps for ?

Hello

After I run out the regression analysis, can someone enlighten me what can I get from R, R square, STD Error estimates and the adjusted r square ?!

P.S: I am not professional in stats, I have only taken one course in university and that was back 4 years ago so I don't have any knowledge about that except watching couple videos in youtube.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Thanks

Re: What does R, R square , Adjusted R square, STD error of estimates helps for ?

Well, I'll help you with R. That is, R is the Pearson correlation between the actual values of the dependent variable (Y) and the predicted values of Y (Y-hats) - regardless of the number of predictors (X's) in the regression model. As such, R is an index of the strength of the linear association between Y and Y-hats. Note that R is bounded between 0 and 1.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragan For This Useful Post:

bruin (12-06-2014)

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 2,246 Posts

Re: What does R, R square , Adjusted R square, STD error of estimates helps for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragan View Post
    Note that R is bounded between 0 and 1.
    We talking about the same R here?
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Thanks

Note that R is bounded between 0 and 1.
    Between -1 and 1.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Between -1 and 1.
    Well, no...it is not....rather, the correlation between Y and the Y-hats is bounded between 0 and 1 as I stated above.

Omega Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

R^2 is the R value squared, which is bounded between 0 and 1. It is typically interpreted as the amount of variance predicted by a variable (or variables, if there are more than 1 in a model).
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 130

Thanks

Based on this...

R is the Pearson correlation between the actual values of the dependent variable (Y) and the predicted values of Y (Y-hats)
    ...wouldn't a negative R only occur if your regression line had the wrong slope? How could a least-squares line have the wrong slope?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    Based on this...

...wouldn't a negative R only occur if your regression line had the wrong slope? How could a least-squares line have the wrong slope?
    Technically speaking, it is conceivable to obtain a negative value of R^2. This (unusual) case can occur when one conducts a regression without an intercept term i.e. regressing through the origin. However, the OLS estimate of the slope coefficient is still unbiased - unless you force the error terms to sum to zero.

Omega Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Bruin,

See the first figure for traditional depictations of correlations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_and_dependence
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Thanks

Well, no...it is not....rather, the correlation between Y and the Y-hats is bounded between 0 and 1 as I stated above.
    i thought this could be provable so i decided to give it a try. i haven't done one of this in a while so plz point out potential mistakes:

to show that 0<Corr(\mathbf{Y},\mathbf{\widehat{Y}})<1 we could show that Cov(\mathbf{Y},\mathbf{\widehat{Y}})>0.

to do this, it is convenient to use \mathbf{H}, the 'hat matrix' that we know \mathbf{H}=\mathbf{X(X^{t}X)^{-1}X^{t}} so that:

\mathbf{\widehat{Y}}=\mathbf{X\widehat{\beta}}=\mathbf{X(X^{t}X)^{-1}X^{t}Y}=\mathbf{HY}

so since we've established \mathbf{\widehat{Y}}=\mathbf{HY}

we can do:

Cov(\mathbf{Y,\widehat{Y}})=Cov(\mathbf{Y,HY})=\mathbf{H}Cov(\mathbf{Y,Y})\mathbf{H^{t}}

now, we know: Cov(\mathbf{Y,Y})=\sigma^{2}\mathbf{I}

by assumption of independence (or we'd introduce heteroskedasticity and violate the typical assumptions of OLS Regression)

so we substitute that back in:

\mathbf{H}Cov(\mathbf{Y,Y})\mathbf{H^{t}}=\mathbf{H}\sigma^{2}\mathbf{I}\mathbf{H}^{t}=\sigma^{2}\mathbf{HH^{t}}

which is clearly greater than 0 because \sigma^{2} is positive (it's a variance) and \mathbf{HH^{t}} is positive-definite.

so that (i think) shows Cov(\mathbf{Y},\mathbf{\widehat{Y}})>0 which i'm sure, when standardized, bounds Corr(\mathbf{Y},\mathbf{\widehat{Y}}) to be between 0 and 1.

comments?
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

+ Reply to Thread