+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need to control for Type 1 errors?

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50

Thanks

Do I need to control for Type 1 errors?

Hi guys, the situation I have is, a reviewer has asked me to reduce my mediation model (MPLUS) as he says I have too many tests going on. In fairness it is a large model.

its 6 IVs > 4 mediators > 1 DV so I guess 24 possible mediated tests although I only have 3 significant indirect paths. i have complied and reduced the model to 5 iVs 3 mediators but I dont wish to lose anymore variables as this will upset the focus of the paper.

I guess I could use Bonferroni corrected alpha but i dont know how to calculate corrected 95%Ci - so that is out.

So at the moment - I have 15 IVs on 3 mediators and 1 DV. Personally, I think this is okat - but what do you think?

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

Re: Do I need to control for Type 1 errors?

What is your sample size? Are any of the IVs categorical with greater than 2 groups?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Hi,

my sample size is 7000 people and all variables are binary (0,1).

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,146 Posts

By mediation regression, you are alludung to having multiple interaction terms? Are all of your terms significant or hold clinical significance?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    By mediation regression, you are alludung to having multiple interaction terms? Are all of your terms significant or hold clinical significance?
    out of 15 tests, 3 indirect effects are significant and they hold theoretical value more than applied clinical significance. Path model below. Neglect and Recreation has now been removed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a425kwomm5...model.PNG?dl=0

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrFurbs View Post
    Hi guys, the situation I have is, a reviewer has asked me to reduce my mediation model (MPLUS) as he says I have too many tests going on. In fairness it is a large model.

its 6 IVs > 4 mediators > 1 DV so I guess 24 possible mediated tests although I only have 3 significant indirect paths. i have complied and reduced the model to 5 iVs 3 mediators but I dont wish to lose anymore variables as this will upset the focus of the paper.

I guess I could use Bonferroni corrected alpha but i dont know how to calculate corrected 95%Ci - so that is out.

So at the moment - I have 15 IVs on 3 mediators and 1 DV. Personally, I think this is okat - but what do you think?
    It's not too difficult to calculate the CIs if you use Bonferroni correction. Basically, when you change the p-value, you adjust the critical t-value accordingly when you calculate your CI boundaries. Let p* be your Bonferroni-adjusted p-value and df be your degrees of freedom (same as it would be); then, you can find the corresponding critical t-value in R with

qt(1-p*,df)

Substitute the new critical t-value into the CI formula and voila.

Conversely, if it's not strictly necessary to report CIs, you could simply report p-values and compare them to the Bonferroni-adjusted p-value. If you report a standard error as well, then knowledgeable statisticians can figure out the adjusted CIs themselves.
    - Sean W.
    http://www.helpmewithstats.com/

+ Reply to Thread