+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interpretting Negative Beta Co-efficients in Regression

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 121

Thanks

Interpretting Negative Beta Co-efficients in Regression

Hi there,

I am having trouble interpreting negative beta co-efficients. I think I am missing something simple perhaps...

I have run a regression for 2 IV's (SSQS) and (SSQN) with DV (Depression Score).

Say my standardized beta coefficient (B) = .165 for IV1 (SSQS).

I understand that interpretation of this would mean that after controlling for IV2 (SSQN), a 1 SD increase in IV1 (SSQS) would result in a predicted .165 SD INCREASE in my DV (Depression Score).

Now say my standardized beta coefficient (B) = -.165 for IV1 (SSQS).

Would this be interpretted that after controlling for IV2 (SSQN), a 1 SD increase in IV1 (SSQS) would result in a predicted -.165 SD DECREASE in my DV (Depression Score)?

I've tried to work this out from my textbook and from watching HowToStats on youtube but I did not see where they explained negative beta co-efficients. I would be very thankful if someone were able to explain how to interpret a negative beta-coefficient for me please.

Thanks in advance.
    Kind Regards,
    Tanya D

Screen shot below of my SPSS output
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by a_living_stone; 03-07-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 121

Thanks

Re: Interpretting Negative Beta Co-efficients in Regression

Never mind folks, I have been reading various explanations of interpreting this data and I think I have figured out that I was correct in my interpretation. I now understand more about their potential to predict change (in SD's) in the relevant predictors, after controlling for the effects of the remaining predictors in the model.

Thanks anyway,
    Tanya D

+ Reply to Thread