+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help on which test to choose for paired samples?

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 41

Thanks

Help on which test to choose for paired samples?

Hi there -

I'm hoping to elicit help on which test to choose - Mann-Whitney vs Wilcoxin (signed rank or rank-sum)? I have paired water samples and am analyzing the number of plankton (ranges from 0-15). The samples are paired because they were taken at the same location on the reef, once during daylight and once during dusk. I want to compare the number of plankton during daylight and at dusk. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Lindsey

R purist
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Help on which test to choose for paired samples?

Wilcoxon signed-rank test would be used if you have pairs, which it sounds like you have.

Mann-Whitney/rank-sum test whether two INDEPENDENT samples are statistically from the same population. I don't think you can treat your samples as independent.
    The true ideals of great philosophies always seem to get lost somewhere along the road..

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 41

Thanks

Re: Help on which test to choose for paired samples?

Great, thank you very much! I believe they are paired since they were taken from the same location (just at different times). I appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEcologist View Post
    Wilcoxon signed-rank test would be used if you have pairs, which it sounds like you have.

Mann-Whitney/rank-sum test whether two INDEPENDENT samples are statistically from the same population. I don't think you can treat your samples as independent.

+ Reply to Thread