+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Panel model with FE minimum number of observations per group

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Thanks

Panel model with FE minimum number of observations per group

Hello dear forum members,

I am estimating a panel model with fixed effects using yearly data from 2009 to 2013 (N=1848). Whereas 80% of the data encounter less than 5% of missing values, the remaining 20% encounter 75% of the missing values. These "problematic" 20% of the data are review-based rating scores, which (due to their nature) are not given every year to every entity in the data set. For example, an entity may be reviewed (and given a rating) say once or twice in 5 years (and not necessarily in consecutive years), thus resulting in missing values.

Stata's -xtnbreg, fe- estimation results in a total N=751 with 2,049 total observations, i.e., min observations per group 2, max = 5, and avg = 2.7

Does this relatively low average number of observations per group (i.e., 2.7 out of 5) bias the estimates substantially? Or poses any other problems?

Thank you in advance,
    Anton

Thanks

Re: Panel model with FE minimum number of observations per group

I guess if the missing values were proven to be random, then there is a chance estimates are not biased. Otherwise, they are. Hm... having that many missings even MI will not help, or will it?

Talking to myself on a stats forum -- time for a break )
    Last edited by kiton; 06-07-2015 at 05:59 PM.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiton View Post
    These "problematic" 20% of the data are review-based rating scores, which (due to their nature) are not given every year to every entity in the data set. For example, an entity may be reviewed (and given a rating) say once or twice in 5 years (and not necessarily in consecutive years), thus resulting in missing values.
    the way you phrase this makes it sound as if it were "structurally missing" data. if that is the case, then it falls under the Missing Completely At Random (MCAR) umbrella term and you can use the naive strategies (listwise/pairwise deletion) to take care of missing data.

but me being me, i would find a way to estimate if through full information maximum likelihood because...FIML.
    for all your psychometric needs! https://psychometroscar.wordpress.com/about/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to spunky For This Useful Post:

kiton (06-08-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spunky View Post
    the way you phrase this makes it sound as if it were "structurally missing" data. if that is the case, then it falls under the Missing Completely At Random (MCAR) umbrella term and you can use the naive strategies (listwise/pairwise deletion) to take care of missing data.

but me being me, i would find a way to estimate if through full information maximum likelihood because...FIML.
    Dear spunky, thank you for your suggestions. I will explore FIML in more detail.

+ Reply to Thread