+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exploratory Factor Analysis with Ordinal Data

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19

Thanks

Exploratory Factor Analysis with Ordinal Data

Hi folks,

I am in the midst of absorbing as much information on exploratory factor analysis as I can. I studied this method once before but not to a great extent.

My question is about using EFA with ordinal data. Consider this tutorial

This tutorial performs EFA on six 7-point likert scaled manifest variables. The author does state that EFA on ordinal data is not ideal, however common in practice. Is this statement accurate? If so, what is the justification? If not, what methods are available for performing EFA with ordinal data?

Thanks for you time

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Exploratory Factor Analysis with Ordinal Data

The statement is...in dispute.... You will get widely different opinions on this topic (I spent a lot of time reviewing this). The correlations that most EFA calculates is based on Pearson's and that is really not appropriate for ordinal data IMHO. You could try Spearman or polychoric correlations as an alternative. Most software won't generate polychoric correlations although there are work arounds for all major softwares (I know this is true for SAS, SPSS and R). For example SAS has a macro that does this.

I don't think the issue is whether EFA can use likert data. I think it is the way EFA is performed commonly (with Pearson's correlations) that authors object to.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19

Thanks

Re: Exploratory Factor Analysis with Ordinal Data

Thanks for the reply

+ Reply to Thread