+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Identification of study design

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 5

Thanks

Identification of study design

Hi all,

I'm just trying to figure out what to call the study design for the way my research has been set up, so could use some help! I have individual historical health records, which had to be grouped into certain areas due to confidentiality. So each individual health record was assigned area 1, 2, or 3 - with each of the study areas being classified into 'exposure' or 'no exposure'. All of the records were then used to calculate incidence of hospitalisation for various diseases within each study area.

It isn't quite ecological because I do have individual records, so I'm not sure if it is more along the lines of retro cohort (however, looking at incidence of hospitalisation rather than just incidence of x) or it's something more like a descriptive epi study. Thanks for your help!

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: Identification of study design

Would comparative analysis with retrospective data work.

Can you describe the exposure and area (e.g., icu, nicu, etc.)?
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 5

Thanks

Re: Identification of study design

Quote Originally Posted by hlsmith View Post
    Would comparative analysis with retrospective data work.

Can you describe the exposure and area (e.g., icu, nicu, etc.)?
    Sorry, this is me being a bit ignorant, but can you describe how that is different from retro cohort? So say something like a comparative analysis was undertaken using retrospective data rather than saying it was a retro cohort study? The 'exposure' is classified broadly as three different forms of resource development over the three geographic study areas. So I have hospital admissions data for individuals living in those three study areas and have analysed the rate of hospitalisation (via primary diagnosis codes) over time and compared the three study areas in the analyses to get the RRs and 95% CI. Subsequent to this, I used hospital admissions data for only one of the study areas and analysed that data in conjunction with data related to levels of resource development to get RR and 95% CI across different periods of development.

+ Reply to Thread