+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Factor Analysis or Something Else

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 41

Thanks

Factor Analysis or Something Else

Hey guys,

So I was a little uncertain about where to best post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I had a statistical approach question.

Here is the conundrum I am in: I'm in the process of creatig a measure / survey and doing a litle planning ahead I realize I am going to run into some difficulty in terms of testing reliability. So what I've done is I've created asurvey with a variety of items, (32 to be exact) but each item is going to be ssessed on several different domains. In other words I'm assessing the same items with a variety of different "likert scales" so to speak (5 likert scales, each being a 6 point scale). These are all interval scales as well.

Now to my main question: What would the best way to test the reliability of this data. I've thougth about doing Factor Analysis, but my concern would be that I would result in items factoring all over the place on such various different loadings given that I will have five different "IVs" so to speak. That being said I know there are other options, but I wanted to get your guys opinion.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Thanks

Re: Factor Analysis or Something Else

Hi,
    Just a quick suggestion - without having experience in this field, you might want to look at Partial Least Squares?

regards

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20

Thanks

I would use structural equation modelling/confirmatory factor analysis, in that way you can predefine how you think the different likert scales relate to the items. problem here is that this is normally done after you did the exploratory factor analysis.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 41

Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll look in to partial squares for sure. My thoughts on the use of SEM and Confirmatory. SEM did run through my thoughts, the problem is thought there is no single underlying construct. These "scales" are all taping different dimensions of the same thing. And while expect them all to contribute in different ways to a DV, we don't know how exactly each will relate to eachother nor how to specify. In terms of Confirmatory thats the exact problem with doing confirmatory first, it is taking a backwards approach so to speak. Thanks for the suggestion though guys, if anyone else has any suggestions I'd be greatful.

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

SEM is also not easy to do if you have no experience in it.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

+ Reply to Thread