+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Treating Dependent Variable (Ordinal 5 item likert scale variable)

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 27

Thanks

Question Treating Dependent Variable (Ordinal 5 item likert scale variable)

Hi all,

I had a dependent variable of fatigue score in 4 cycles and i need to test with one Independent categorical variable which had 2 levels(Drug 1 and Drug 2). I need to test the comparison of 4 scores of fatigue with the independent variable (which is drug 1 and drug 2). I was planning to use Factorial repeated measures in spss. The dependent varaiable comes from likert 5 item scale. So should i go ahead with the same test as i heard that likert 5 item scales scores are ordinal and normally non parametric test is applied. So please advise on this subject.

regards

sharfras

Fortran must die
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks

Re: Treating Dependent Variable (Ordinal 5 item likert scale variable)

I am not sure what you are doing in honesty. If you have a five point ordered dependent variable, ordered logistic regression is commonly used. I don't know, however, what factorial repeated measures is. Are you trying to find out if something changed over time?
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 27

Thanks

Re: Treating Dependent Variable (Ordinal 5 item likert scale variable)

Thanks for your prompt reply and appreciated to suggest for the test. To be more frank with you, the dependent variable is a fatigue score which is taken in 4 cycles say Score 1, score 2, score 3 and Score 4 and all the scores are summated score of 13 questions likert items. So what i want to test is the Independent variable which is categorical with 2 levels (say drug 1 and drug 2) had any impact on this scores and is there any relationship of dependent variable with other categorical and scale variable(eg: clinical & laboratary variables). I am confused that which score should i take as dependent variable is it score 1,2,3,4 or should i sum the dependent scores of 1 to 4 together in order to make test.Looking foward to hear from you.

+ Reply to Thread