+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Principal Component Analysis - global R2

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 42

Thanks

Principal Component Analysis - global R2

Hi,

I've extracted the principal components from a set of k studentized variables. I can compute the cumulative R2.i.e the percentage of variation explained by the first r principal components by taking the ratio of the sum of the first r eigenvalues (i.e the largest r eigenvalues) over the sum of all eigenvalues.

The problem comes in when I try to compute the average R2. To obtain this I compute the R2 from regressions of all k original variables on the first r principal components. I then average across all k variables. Now, theoretically this should give me the same "cumulative" R2 as the one described above. I however get very different results.

Am I missing something? I have been checking my code, and running it in parts with a very small set of variables and the two ways of calculating the cumulative variation explained do not yield the same results. Have I made a mistake thinking I should get hte same results?

Thank you very much,
    vm

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 42

Thanks

Re: Principal Component Analysis - global R2

Nevermind. It as a code mistake after all. I was using an outdated MATLAB function which messed things up.

Maths does work after all!

+ Reply to Thread