+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange results in univariable linear regression when groups are stratified

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40

Thanks

Strange results in univariable linear regression when groups are stratified

Dear Forum users,

I am stuck with some unusual results and would appreciate some ideas as to why/how this happened. Iím testing the relationship between two biological continuous variables in a large cohort study (n>5000), using simple univariable linear regression on Stata. I stratified the analysis for male and females, and then repeated with both groups together. For males, the beta & 95%CI is -1.5 (-2.0, -1.0, p<0.001), for females, its -1.8 (-2.3, -1.4, p<0.001), but for both combined, its 0.09 (-0.16, 0.34, p=0.47). I canít explain how the results for M and F separately show a significant negative association, but for both combined, its not significant.

Strange results again using the same outcome variable, but a different dependent variable in the same study. For males, itís -0.18 (-0.69, 0.33, p=0.48), for females itís -0.91 (-1.38, -0.43, p<0.001), but for both combined, its 2.02 (1.77, 2.23, p<0.001). So males is not significant, female itís significantly NEGATIVE, but for both, itís significantly POSITIVE. The combined group has 58% female.

Iíve rechecked the results many times and there are no mistakes that I can see.

Thanks for your help.

Human
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Thanks

Re: Strange results in univariable linear regression when groups are stratified

Read about Simpson's paradox.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GretaGarbo For This Useful Post:

MHS (09-27-2015)

+ Reply to Thread