+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ANOVA or Correlational analysis? Which one to use?

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35

Thanks

ANOVA or Correlational analysis? Which one to use?

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on my dissertation and aim to identify the relationship between parent-child interaction and behavior of children with low average intelligence (IQ= 80-89).

I intend to use two surveys, the Child Behavioral Checklist (CBCL)- parent form and the Parenting Stress Index- Short form (PSI-SF-4). Both surveys generate raw scores and T scores for the data (which is collected on a 3 and 5 point likert scale respectively).

I also hypothesize that negative parent-child interaction, may negatively impact behavior in children.

Given this information, I am confused as to the type of statistical analysis to conduct on the information obtained. Any help regarding if I should conduct an ANOVA or a Correlation (if not another test), and how to do so would be very helpful. I will be using the SPSS software to analyze my data.

Kindly help! I apologize if my questions sound too trivial!

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138

Thanks

Re: ANOVA or Correlational analysis? Which one to use?

Hi,

as far as I know, likert scales are ordinal. That means, you have two ordinal variables and you want to look if there is a relationship between them? A first approach would be to use a Spearman's rank correlation, which is also appropriate for ordinal data.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 35

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I have suggested the use of Spearman's rank correlation in my proposal. But my advisor's suggest the use of some parametric test as well to meet the standards of a masters level dissertation. Any suggestion on what I could use in addition to Spearman's ran correlation?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mmercker View Post
    Hi,

as far as I know, likert scales are ordinal. That means, you have two ordinal variables and you want to look if there is a relationship between them? A first approach would be to use a Spearman's rank correlation, which is also appropriate for ordinal data.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy26 View Post
    But my advisor's suggest the use of some parametric test as well to meet the standards of a masters level dissertation.
    Thank you!
    As far as I know, the use of other tests (such as parametric ANOVA or the non-parametric Kruskal-Wallis Test) with likert data is controversial. You find some useful information here, here, and here.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmercker View Post
    As far as I know, the use of other tests (such as parametric ANOVA or the non-parametric Kruskal-Wallis Test) with likert data is controversial. You find some useful information here, here, and here.
    This seemingly is confusing Likert scales with Likert-type items (items using the Likert response format)? This is exactly what is critizied by your third reference. And the references critisize treatment of Likert-type items as interval scaled , but AFAICS they do not claim that Likert scales could not be treated as interval. The original poster seemingly uses 2 multi-item scales, which could supposedly be treated as interval. By the way, why shouldn't an ordinal scaled respone variable not be analysed using Kruskal-Wallis, which is a test for ordinal/ranked data?

As to the original question, seemingly only Spearman's rho was used here, the straightforward alternative would be Pearson's r.

With kind regards

K.

+ Reply to Thread