+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please help!!!

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 42

Thanks

Please help!!!

Hey everybody,

Sorry this is my first time on this forum, I just have one question that my colleagues and I are interpreting in essentially opposite directions.

Without disclosing too much information, I have a mock DNA report that I have to use in a competition for law school. Long story short, a "minor DNA profile" was found on a gun and it has been tied to one of the characters, Robert. In this specific report, it defines a "minor DNA profile" as a DNA profile where "the likelihood of randomly finding another person in the US population with the same DNA profile is 1 in 25," from which you cannot conclude it belongs to any specific individual with "reasonable scientific certainty."

So I interpret this as meaning essentially that there is a 96% chance that the DNA belongs to Robert.

However, a number of my colleagues interpret this as meaning the opposite: that there is only a 4% chance that it belongs to Robert.

PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU!!!

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Re: Please help!!!

There is a 4% chance that the DNA is not his but matches by random chance.

There is a 96% chance that a random person would have a different "minor DNA profile" than Robert.

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Thanks

Re: Please help!!!

Sorry this is my first time on this forum,
    Not exactely.
    the likelihood of randomly finding another person in the US population with the same DNA profile
    Hopefully, they don't make this awful mistake in real life settings any more.

+ Reply to Thread