+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Model to use, fractions as independent and dependent variables

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 45

Thanks

Post Model to use, fractions as independent and dependent variables

Hi,

I have some background on doing regression analysis, however never on fractional variables. My question is related to model selection on fractional data.

I have collected a data set that consists of fractions, for example I am trying to predict the amount of fixed assets on balance sheet (independent variable). This figure is calculated and represented as % on total balance sheet value.

The dependent variables include, but are not limited to, fractions as well, such as the amount of debt (again represented as % of total BS value). Would this model be adversely influenced if continuous non fractional dependents are introduced in the model? Such as company/industry specific dummy variable.

Obviously plugging these in to a linear regression model does not work, how should I then proceed? I know that in Stata 14 fractional regression is doable, however I only have access to Stata 13 and R.

I would prefer regression analysis, but if this is too challenging on my data set what other models/analyses would you recommend?

Thanks,
    ddali

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Thanks

Re: Model to use, fractions as independent and dependent variables

This is the case for a generalized linear model. You can try beta-distribution as the distribution for the dependent variable. You shpuld be guided by goodness-of-fit limitations of the candidate models and not by programmatic limitations of Stata. I would do it in R or Matlab, where any statistical idea can be expressed relatively easily.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to staassis For This Useful Post:

GretaGarbo (11-14-2015)

+ Reply to Thread