+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to compare whether younger patients have better therapeutic results ?

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 107

Thanks

How to compare whether younger patients have better therapeutic results ?

Hi, I've just finished a research on 30 patients. Age range was 26 to 80. I've tested everyone of them before and after the treatment. Results are expressed as numerical variables.
    Now I want to see whether younger patients have reached better therapeutic results than older. Which test would you recommend ?

Thank you very much.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138

Thanks

Re: How to compare whether younger patients have better therapeutic results ?

Hi, what you can do is a mixed regression model: The test scores Y are the outcome, the age is a continuous predictor, before / after (lets name this X) is a categorical predictor. And finally you have to include ID as a random effect (since you have a repeated measurement design). If the interaction term between age and X is significant, this means that the dependency of Y on age shows a different slope before versus after the treatment. I think this is what you want, because this tells you if the difference between the Y level before and after the treatment depends on age, am I right?

In R the code could look like this:

library(nlme)
    model <- lme(data=data,Y ~ age + X + age:X, random=~(1|ID))
    summary(model)

and the significance of age:X is what you are interested in.
    Last edited by mmercker; 12-21-2015 at 01:48 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mmercker For This Useful Post:

nicck (01-08-2016)

+ Reply to Thread