+ Reply to Thread

Thread: paired samples

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 3

Thanks

paired samples

Hello!

I have two separate group. On each group, I could have done paired samples t-test, but I want to compare between the two of them- is there is any option besides mix ANOVA (that doesn't consider the paired sample issue) that I can do?

Thank you!
    Tal

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138

Thanks

Re: paired samples

I don't know if I understand your design right: You have a continuous outcome Y, and you have two groups A and B, and the individuals differ between the two groups. And within each group you have a repeated measurement of the same individuals regarding two different conditions C and D? In this case why not using a mixed ANOVA via the ID-variable? Which software do you use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmercker View Post
    I don't know if I understand your design right: You have a continuous outcome Y, and you have two groups A and B, and the individuals differ between the two groups. And within each group you have a repeated measurement of the same individuals regarding two different conditions C and D? In this case why not using a mixed ANOVA via the ID-variable? Which software do you use?
    Thanks for your answer.
    I Would say that you understood right, but the two conditions C and D are connected among them. I replicate a new paradigm. In the pardigm they only had one group so they did t- test for pair samples. I do the same, but I have to different samples now. I hope it's clear.
    Tal

Thanks

I am sorry, maybe it's because I am not a native speaker, I still have problems to understand the design.

Quote Originally Posted by talgef View Post
    I replicate a new paradigm. In the pardigm they only had one group so they did t- test for pair samples.
    So in this study they had N people and two treatment conditions for each individual, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by talgef View Post
    I do the same, but I have to different samples now.
    Are you repeating the same experiment but with other people and you want to analyse both datasets together, or do you have a different design with additional groups compared to the above mentioned experiment?

Thanks

GROUP A
    LEVEL 1 LEVEL 2

GROUP B
    LEVEL 1 LEVEL 2

The two levels are connected to each other, if for example I had only one group- I had to do t- test for paired samples (Its the same people who do the two levels). The two groups are separate. And I want to analyze it all together.

Thanks

OK, thanks, now it's clear. I don't see that there is something against a mixed ANOVA with the two factor variables Group and Level and the participant ID as the random effect. In R for example you can write this as a mixed linear model:

library(nlme)
    data$group <- factor(data$group)
    data$level <- factor(data$level)
    model <- lme(outcome ~ group + level, data= data, random=~(1|ID))
    summary(model)

Here, the significance of the variable "group" tells you about differences in the outcome for the different groups A vs. B (pooled over all levels). Is this what you are looking for?
    Last edited by mmercker; 12-21-2015 at 01:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread