+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is the difference between an interaction effect and a moderator in regression?

Omega Contributor
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 1,147 Posts

Re: What is the difference between an interaction effect and a moderator in regressio

Perhaps you need to find some examples with data, and see if these things hold. If you had a continuousXcontinuous interaction, you could always bin one of the variables into groups and play around with some of these concepts.
    Stop cowardice, ban guns!

Fortran must die
    Thanks

Re: What is the difference between an interaction effect and a moderator in regressio

Converting a continuous variable into a categorical one is bad bad bad bad bad bad

Or so I was told in my program. I am still not sure how SAS handles interaction diagnostics or simple effect with two interval variables. Perhaps there is no reasonable way.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Omega Contributor
    Thanks

It is not bad bad bad,..., when you are just playing around with concepts for fun. I get the loss of information, but you are more likely to find a practice dataset with two continuous variables than interval variables.

Fortran must die
    Thanks

but you are more likely to find a practice dataset with two continuous variables than interval variables.
    I don't think it is possible to find a practice data set with two continuous variables that are not interval

I think you meant categorical rather than continuous.
    "Very few theories have been abandoned because they were found to be invalid on the basis of empirical evidence...." Spanos, 1995

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 2,246 Posts

Or there are differences in data across fields. For example I rarely come across interval data.
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

Fortran must die
    Thanks

That's amazing to me. I commonly work with money which is entirely interval.

Devorador de queso
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 2,246 Posts

Oh my bad. I rarely use these "types" for classifying data (to me continuous, discrete, and categorical tend to be "good enough"). For some reason I read that as "ordinal" instead of "interval".
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

Fortran must die
    Thanks

Is discrete data count data? When data is a count, in practice, is rarely obvious to me. For example I never run Poisson regression with our data although arguably some of our results are counts [like how many times you receive services].

I think of data usually as interval, ordinal, and nominal the last two being important distinctions when I run logistic regression. We have lots of ordinal data when we administer likert type survey data [although commonly we treat that as interval....]

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43

Thanks

Discrete data doesn't necessarily have to be count data. Gender is also discrete, i.e. you can only be male or female (ignoring politically correct arguments here..).

Omega Contributor
    Thanks

Back to original topic:

On the Distinction Between Interaction and

Effect Modification

Tyler J. VanderWeele
    Epidemiology Volume 20, Number 6, November 2009, pg 863.

Feel free to read the whole thing and report back

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2