+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Probability distribution on next draw from random variable

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Probability distribution on next draw from random variable

I'm working on a game theory model of incomplete information, where players observe certain attributes via noisy signals. I am looking to solve for two different probability functions, though I think the math should be very similar:
    1. Say there is some random variable X \sim U(a - \epsilon, a + \epsilon). You observe a draw from this distribution, call it S_1, but you do not know a. Given S_1, what is the probability that another draw, S_2, from the same distribution, will be greater than or equal to an arbitrary number b? That is, what is:

P(S_2 \geq b \mid S_1)

2. (Note: these problems are separate, so, for example, b here does not mean the same thing as b in part 1). Say that b and c are two independent draws from U(0,1), the standard uniform distribution. Now, B \sim U(b - \epsilon, b + \epsilon) and C \sim U(c - \epsilon, c + \epsilon). You observe one draw from B and one draw from C, but you do not know the true values b or c. What is the probability that a new draw from B will be greater than a new draw from C? That is, if S_1^b is your observed draw from B and S_1^c is your observed draw from C, then what is:

P(S_2^b \geq S_2^c \mid S_1^b, S_1^c)

Any help with this would be much appreciated! I've read a bit about convolutions and posterior predictive distributions, but I don't have the grasp on them that I need to solve for these functions.

Thanks!

Devorador de queso
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Awards:
    Posting AwardCommunity AwardDiscussion EnderFrequent Poster
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 2,246 Posts

Re: Probability distribution on next draw from random variable

This was stuck in the moderator queue and I just saw it. Do you still want help with this?
    I don't have emotions and sometimes that makes me very sad.

+ Reply to Thread