+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poisson Process Exercise

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46

Thanks

Poisson Process Exercise

Hi everyone i'm new in this forum and i wanna ask if there someone that can help me with this kind of exercises in which i have an arrival process according to a Poisson Process and life times according to an exponentially distributed random variable.

Customers arrive at a certain facility according to a Poisson process of rate /lambda. Suppose that it is known that five customers arrived in the first
    hour. Each customer spends a time in the store that is a random variable, exponentially distributed with parameter /alpha and independent of the other customer times, and then departs. What is the probability that the store is empty at the end of this first hour?

TS Contributor
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 940

Thanks

Re: Poisson Process Exercise

This is a classical example involving the expected value of a symmetric function of arrivial times of a Poisson process, conditional on the Poisson process. See e.g. Theorem 1.2 in

http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~ig/MAS3...form%20d-n.pdf

Let Y_i be the i-th customer arrival time and
    X_i be the corresponding time spended in the store, i = 1, 2, ..., N(1)

Now the required probability is

\Pr\left\{\bigcap_{i=1}^{N(1)} X_i + Y_i \leq 1 \Bigg|N(1) = 5\right\}

= \Pr\left\{\bigcap_{i=1}^5 X_i + U_i \leq 1 \right\} given by the theorem, in which U_i \stackrel {\text{iid}} {\sim} \text{Uniform}(0, 1)

= \Pr\{X_1 + U_1 \leq 1\}^5 by iid assumption

= \left(\int_0^1 \Pr\{X_1  \leq 1 - u\} du \right)^5 by Law of Total Probability

= \left(\int_0^1 1 - e^{-\alpha(1 - u)} du\right)^5 by the exponential CDF

= \left(\left. u - \frac {1} {\alpha} e^{-\alpha(1 - u)}\right|_0^1\right)^5

= \left(1 - \frac {1} {\alpha} - 0 + \frac {1} {\alpha}e^{-\alpha}  \right)^5

= \left[1 - \frac {1} {\alpha}\left(1 - e^{-\alpha}\right)  \right]^5

+ Reply to Thread